Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8 (530 Views)

Scam telephone calls about my Router

So far today I've had 7 phone calls (most likely from an Indian Call centre) telling me that there's a problem with my router. They want to check how many flashing lights I have, which apparently indicates a virus or unusual activity. They then want me to run Teamviewer and give them remote access to my laptop/pc, most probably to download some ransomeware or simply to lock it out after they've changed the password.

That's as far as I've let them go each time, and have had a fair amount of abuse when I've pointed out that they are 'bad people' and thieves. 

They aren't using anything with caller ID which is bit annoying. Might have to actually get a blocker/filter on or change my number. It's been getting beyond a joke.

Make sure that nobody actually lets them into their pc's please. All be warned.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8 (966 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Whyausername
‎25-05-2017 21:06

Re: Scam telephone calls about my Router

Yes, it's funny how they always get abusive when you call them out.  One poster here even reported that the operative called him back just to swear at him.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8 (954 Views)
Helpful Answer

Well you could try this next time they call.

Position yourself by radio, turn up volume fully while covering your ears, laugh.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

Superuser
Message 4 of 8 (946 Views)
Helpful Answer

i used to get a lot of calls like this ages ago so setup a virtual machine, and i played totally dumb wasting their time.. this guy calls them on purpose https://www.youtube.com/user/LewissTech to waste their time aka the scammers.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8 (967 Views)
Helpful Answer

Yes, it's funny how they always get abusive when you call them out.  One poster here even reported that the operative called him back just to swear at him.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8 (955 Views)
Helpful Answer

Well you could try this next time they call.

Position yourself by radio, turn up volume fully while covering your ears, laugh.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Message 4 of 8 (947 Views)
Helpful Answer

i used to get a lot of calls like this ages ago so setup a virtual machine, and i played totally dumb wasting their time.. this guy calls them on purpose https://www.youtube.com/user/LewissTech to waste their time aka the scammers.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8 (398 Views)

Held them on for 50 minutes yesterday, while they tried to connect.

New tactic today while they say that other people are using my router and they can get that fixed for me. Only lasted 12 mins before he gave up. Apparently using google translate to say, "Your mother would be ashamed of you" in Hindi upset him and he hung up. :-)

Dialled in
Message 6 of 8 (322 Views)

One poster here even reported that the operative called him back just to swear at him.

It's not fun when that happens and it can be much worse than just one calling back; they can make your life a misery. Think carefully before deciding to antagonise them; if you want to start a war they will win it.

I find the best tactic is to simply 'play dumb', insist they have the wrong number and stick with that until they give up. I manage to waste a lot of their time by apologising for being the wrong number and hoping they do find who they should have been contacting.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 8 (315 Views)

Whyausername wrote:

So far today I've had 7 phone calls (most likely from an Indian Call centre...

They aren't using anything with caller ID which is bit annoying.

out call guardian setting is that no caller ID calls are sent directly to answer machine. That does the trick

also , block any any that appear as a string of zeros in caller  ID

unless you really do have  a friend  stranded in country xxxxx  with wallet & passport  stolen, needs cash wired via western Union, you can safely block all out of area calls, also 

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8 (290 Views)

hippyclone wrote:

One poster here even reported that the operative called him back just to swear at him.

It's not fun when that happens and it can be much worse than just one calling back; they can make your life a misery. Think carefully before deciding to antagonise them; if you want to start a war they will win it.

I find the best tactic is to simply 'play dumb', insist they have the wrong number and stick with that until they give up. I manage to waste a lot of their time by apologising for being the wrong number and hoping they do find who they should have been contacting.

Case in our local paper where person politely just put the phone down on one of these calls, nothing more than ending the call. He received a return call moments later, where he was sworn at, and abused for putting the phone down on this 'salesman' who then promised to 'pass his phone number to every single sales team he could find, so f*** you, I'll f****** teach you'  before putting the phone down!!.

Stunned reciprient then began getting hundreds of unsolicited calls, all because he 'just put the phone down'

Apparently, police are investigating....(the original caller 'withheld their number' so difficult to trace)...

I was under the impression it was now illegal to 'withhold' a number if a sales call?? might be wrong though

0 Kudos