Menu
EHB
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SSDP vulnerability again

Hi, 

i received another email stating I have a security vulnerability. After the first one I checked there was no port forwarding or port triggering. The wifi is encrypted with a complicated password and I can see all devices on the network by accessing the router. There are no unexpected devices. I have three devices which can do UPnP and two of those have Kodi, although I think UPnP is switched off. Even if the devices had a bug in them I would expect the router's firewall to block it. What else can I do? Should I block a particular port? Would changing from a Superhub 2ac to 3 help?  

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SSDP vulnerability again

EHB wrote:

Hi, 

i received another email stating I have a security vulnerability. After the first one I checked there was no port forwarding or port triggering. The wifi is encrypted with a complicated password and I can see all devices on the network by accessing the router. There are no unexpected devices. I have three devices which can do UPnP and two of those have Kodi, although I think UPnP is switched off. Even if the devices had a bug in them I would expect the router's firewall to block it. What else can I do? Should I block a particular port? Would changing from a Superhub 2ac to 3 help?  

This thread may help: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/mDNS-and-SSDP-vulnerabilities-a-suggestion-for-...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
EHB
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SSDP vulnerability again

Thanks! I have forwarded the ports mentioned in that thread to an device that doesn't exist. Let's hope this now does the trick. Bit disappointed the Virgin firewall can't do something so basic, but never mind. 

Sololobo wrote:

EHB wrote:

Hi, 

This thread may help: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/mDNS-and-SSDP-vulnerabilities-a-suggestion-for-...

0 Kudos