Menu
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SMS spam from BikeSure

Over the last month I've had a half dozen SMS messages from a non-number identifying itself as Confused. When I look for the source number (in order to block it), my phone says there's no number associated with that sender. So it's clearly a spoof.

But this spoofer is always advertising car or bike insurance, and a particular phone number, like 0330 *********. I'm not going to ring it, but I can't find any reference to it online. The whole thing seems like a daft exercise in nothing. A fake number promoting a fake seller?

Anyway, I'd think VM would have caught onto this scam by now, so I'm here to ask why I'm still getting these messages.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMS spam from BikeSure

Hi dglp,

Sorry to hear you are having problems receiving these messages from Confused on your phone, let's see if we can sort this out for you. 

A lot a companies are now using SMS spoofing to contact a customer base. I can understand the frustration of receiving these messages when you cannot block the number but I wouldn't necessarily say this means its a scam exercise and more likely a marketing campaign from a legitimate company.

Most messages that you receive displaying a company's name rather than the number will often contain instructions on how to stop them. Such as texting STOP to a particular number. If they do not have the instructions on how to stop the messages then I would suggest calling Confused to ask them to remove you from their marketing material including SMS. I am pretty sure Confused work as a price comparison site so if you are due for renewals or have recently looked for a quote this may be why you have started having them.

I hope this helps you 

Thanks 

Mike

0 Kudos
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

if it were a legit outfit, the phone number would be a working, traceable number.

The messages I've been getting give a number that's not in service, may never have been in service, as it doesn't turn up in any search.

I've not had any connection with anything to do with vehicle insurance. It's just a complete out of the blue bit of fakery.

From what you've said - and not said - I gather Virgin can't do anything about it one way or another.

Too bad.

0 Kudos
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They keep arriving.

So, just for the record, here are the last 3.

28 November at 19:04

Your cheapest Fully Comp bike insurance quote is £153.36 from Entire Cover. Call 0330 022 8168 to buy quoting ref ECTBI...

28 November at 19:06

Your cheapest Fully Comp bike insurance quote is £159.48 from Entire Cover. Call 0330 022 8168 to buy quoting ref ECTBI...

28 November at 20:53

Your cheapest Fully Comp bike insurance quote is £150.00 from Entire Cover. Call 0330 022 8168 to buy quoting ref ECTBI...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey dglp, 

I have checked that number out and I can’t seem to find any company info at all for this online, so I did try to call it and I have we are closed no mention to the name of the company. 

There is a few options to get this stopped, the first one would be registering on the mobile telephone preference service page, these guys take about 48 hours to stop marketing calls and texts. 

The other option would be to download an app to your device if you can to block them, a popular one that a lot of the guys here in mobile tech use is called Dead 2 Me, this is because it blocks calls and texts messages. Just click on the dead 2 me and it will take you to the google play store or if you have an iPhone you can get this from the Apple App Store.

We can block spam text numbers from out network, but there has to be a lot of people reporting the same number in order for us to do this, so I can pass your information over to the relevant guys to add your details to anyone else who may have reported this and once enough people report it, the number will no longer be able to bug our customers. 

I will have to get your account details to do this, if you would be happy for me to do this for you, I will shortly send you a private message to get this information, to pick the message up please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner. 

Chat soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos