Menu
Highlighted
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SCAM

Hi,

Got this crap today as an email from "Virgin Media".

Looks reasonably genuine but, as I have had one or two such messages before, I was immediately suspicious.

Phoned 150, got on to Billing and reported issue to a nice Lass who listened to my reading the content shown below, who promised that she would "have something done about it".

Problem is that I have been there before with VM and, surprise surprise, absolutely NOTHING has been done about it........otherwise I would NOT have received such mails again!

As they have done nothing to stop this, I feel that VM are neglecting their duty of care in respect of customers and leaving them open to such abuses which are designed, I fear, to extract billing information from unsuspecting and perhaps, vulnerable consumers.

As I don't know how to block this kind of stuff, I would appreciate help from those who do know, (you guys) as I suspect that VM, in my experience, will do little/nothing to help out!

Cheers

Virgin Media Scam.jpg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SCAM

There is literally nothing VM or anyone else can do about phishing attempts via email, the email system is built on blind trust and the "from" and "reply to" sections can be forged, i could send you an email claiming to be from donald.trump@whitehouse.gov if i so wanted, they can't actually prevent it

shanematthews
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"However, if I take the trouble to protect both VM (and of course myself) by reporting such incidents surely the least they should do is acknowledge the fact that at least someone is trying to do something."

Thing is, VM aren't trying to do anything, ther eis literally nothing they can actually do about it even if its reported and the offending device sending thrthe spam is found its likely to have been a compromised PC or server somewhere and everytime one is killed another was already there to replace it, its currently impossible to win the war on spam and the only solution presently is education, thing is that spam filters will detect recirculated spam as spam meaning the emails showing people the spam will eventually be deleted by spam filters once they recognise it

You also have the issue that you have no way of making sure people even read the warnings, common sense goes a long way but, unfortunately, its not as common as its name implies

0 Kudos

All Replies
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is literally nothing VM or anyone else can do about phishing attempts via email, the email system is built on blind trust and the "from" and "reply to" sections can be forged, i could send you an email claiming to be from donald.trump@whitehouse.gov if i so wanted, they can't actually prevent it

auldyin
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shane,

That's fair enough and I half expected that nothing could be done!

However, if I take the trouble to protect both VM (and of course myself) by reporting such incidents surely the least they should do is acknowledge the fact that at least someone is trying to do something.

Would it be impossible for VM to circulate its customers warning them of scamming and phishing attempts using specific examples such as that shown? If I can do that, albeit on a miniscule scale, surely VM can do the same utilising their "Communications Empire" to block attempts at conning THEIR customers!

Again, I apologise for my lack of knowledge about these matters and although you are asserting that NOTHING can be done, I would prefer to think that, a LITTLE can/could be done!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I received this particular phishing email this morning. 

Can I suggest a few reminders to people when considering whether such an email is genuine?

First, the opening greeting was addressed to my email address whereas a genuine communication would address the account-holder by name.

Second, hovering the mouse over the link (but not clicking on it) shows an address that is clearly not an official one.

Third, the sender's details while including words like "virgin" and "media" include a load of junk and a french suffix. Not genuine!

Fourth, it says the billing system has expired, but just consider how the billing is arranged and how feasible that is. If you pay by direct debit it won't have expired unless you know you've canceled it. If you pay for something by card, you know the expiry date on the card. A moment's thought will lead you to realise that the facts don't fit the claim.

Finally, these days although a lot of marketing stuff is sent by email, if there's a major account issue or change then most companies will notify you by post, especially if they are proposing to terminate the service.

Even if you suspect an email may be genuine, never click on a link in it. Access the company's website from your browser and take it from there.

0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Seffrid!

That's THREE of us trying to do something!!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

auldyin wrote:

Thanks Shane,

That's fair enough and I half expected that nothing could be done!

However, if I take the trouble to protect both VM (and of course myself) by reporting such incidents surely the least they should do is acknowledge the fact that at least someone is trying to do something.

Would it be impossible for VM to circulate its customers warning them of scamming and phishing attempts using specific examples such as that shown? If I can do that, albeit on a miniscule scale, surely VM can do the same utilising their "Communications Empire" to block attempts at conning THEIR customers!

Again, I apologise for my lack of knowledge about these matters and although you are asserting that NOTHING can be done, I would prefer to think that, a LITTLE can/could be done!

Cheers

They do, after a fashion.

Under the Security Matters section of the forum Virgin Media regularly post phishing examples with the heading Latest Phishing News. The most recent example is dated 9/11/2017 here http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-09-11-2017/td-p/3571463. There are also posts dated 8/11/2017 and 7/11/2017. 

From here: https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/index.php

Phishing emails

If you have received a phishing email purporting to be from Virgin Media, please forward it to phishing@virginmedia.com. If you receive a ‘Spam Content Found’ error when forwarding a suspected phishing email to us via Webmail, then we are already aware of the email and have taken steps to ensure the email is blocked on our platform.

For more information on phishing and how we handle these incidents, please read this this help article. Known phishing emails purporting to be from Virgin Media are listed on our Community help forum

It is beyond reasonable, and simply not practical, to expect any ISP to circulate to all their customers each and every phishing email they become aware of. 

It's up to the recipient to use their own discretion and common sense. Check email headers, check accounts by logging in directly, check with their bank to ensure there are no issues. Even, and as a last resort, call the help desk for advice.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"However, if I take the trouble to protect both VM (and of course myself) by reporting such incidents surely the least they should do is acknowledge the fact that at least someone is trying to do something."

Thing is, VM aren't trying to do anything, ther eis literally nothing they can actually do about it even if its reported and the offending device sending thrthe spam is found its likely to have been a compromised PC or server somewhere and everytime one is killed another was already there to replace it, its currently impossible to win the war on spam and the only solution presently is education, thing is that spam filters will detect recirculated spam as spam meaning the emails showing people the spam will eventually be deleted by spam filters once they recognise it

You also have the issue that you have no way of making sure people even read the warnings, common sense goes a long way but, unfortunately, its not as common as its name implies

0 Kudos