Menu
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 6 (260 Views)

Re: WannaCry Ransomware

[ Edited ]

Ralph_R wrote:

WannaCry is a type of ransomware, which is malicious software (malware) that encrypts all the information held on the infected device and demands a ransom payment for the files to be unencrypted.

For further information, support and advice please go to virginmedia.com/wannacry

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator
[Original post is here]

If the infected machine has not been rebooted you may want to look at trying wannakey, if appropriate; read more here, WannaCry — Decrypting files with WanaKiwi + Demos

Wise owl
Message 2 of 6 (228 Views)

用心棒 wrote:

Ralph_R wrote:

WannaCry is a type of ransomware, which is malicious software (malware) that encrypts all the information held on the infected device and demands a ransom payment for the files to be unencrypted.

For further information, support and advice please go to virginmedia.com/wannacry

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator
[Original post is here]

If the infected machine has not been rebooted you may want to look at trying wannakey, if appropriate; read more here, WannaCry — Decrypting files with WanaKiwi + Demos

Windows XP only.  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/19/wannacrypt_key_recovery_tool/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6 (188 Views)

How Wannacry started?  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/20/wannacry_windows_xp/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6 (176 Views)

[ Edited ]

Malware exploiting the same vulnerability reportedly earned its author(s) over a million dollars by mining an alternative cryptocurrency, read more here, Hackers mint crypto-currency with technique in global 'ransomware' attack

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6 (148 Views)

Only works on XP and must NOT have been rebooted, not much of a fix then as less than 1% of infections were running XP, but better than northing.

JohnD
Strangely strange but oddly normal.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6 (72 Views)

It works on XP because the tcp / ip limit can be set. Microsoft set it to 10 open connections, but a little code and you can open thousands of connections and allow the XP machine to scan thousands of ip addresses quickly. Windows 7 is limited and i have not gotten round to see if it is limited (I am guessing it is), and Windows 10 will be the same.

0 Kudos