Menu
PWB5
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent Broadband account opened in my name

We have also been the victim of a bogus account being created , in my sons name he has received letters demanding payment for a broadband service that we have never had, our service provider is BT and we do not have any Virgin services at all.
In my opinion it seems that an unscrupulous virgin salesman has created a spurious account using my sons details without approval, is this fraudulent and illegal?. Can you offer some guidance please, or should we be considering legal action to settle this ?
I look forward to a reply.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay ill answer this in a couple of parts

Whilst its perfectly possible that a VM salesperson has as you've said, opened a false account, (All ISP's are only as good as the people on the ground), they would need your sons personal details to do so.

So its certainly worth checking out. But unlikely if your son has had no interaction with VM staff.

Next part.

Theres a practice known as "slamming" where a 3rd party offers a silly deal over the phone, and uses the personal details obtained  to effect a change of ISP/energy/water etc. Have you had any ropey phonecalls recently?

The last part

Accepting there MAY be an issue, best to call VM on

0345 454 1111

and check it out. Best options to use are 1,4,5 during UK office hours which will land you with onshore retention's. They do far more than retention's and are far more clued in than the 1st line support

0 Kudos
PWB5
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks for your input, I will take your advice and contact them on that number.

If a fraudulent account is set up, (similar to a utility account as you mentioned) but how can we receive a "bill" when there are no broadband services connected. That's what I find totally bizarre

Anyway, many thanks for your swift response.

Regards
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The way VM's system works, SHOULD preclude just such a scenario. Services have to be installed at a property and signed off by a qualified installer to generate a bill.

How did you receive the bill? By post? Email?

0 Kudos
PWB5
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK - the bill was received by post.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats a bit worrying from the POV that most "obvious" similair scams work by  email.

Im going to escalate your posts to staff to get a look at on Monday. 

0 Kudos
PWB5
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your assistance.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

Thanks for dropping by with your post regarding the account opened in your son’s name.

This is certainly something our teams would need to look into for you to investigate this and resolve this on your behalf.

Without going into personal specifics here it's not easy to look into but we do have a dedicated Fraud team who will be able to support you both with this.

For us to identify if you need to ring them or if we can provide you with their contact options if they need you to send in any documentation to them, then if you could please get in touch with me via the pm I'm sending to you for me to confirm some details with you. You can find this in the up next to your forum name.

I hope to hear back from you soon Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos