Menu
Manestream
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Possible SCAM

Virgin Media Account is Disabled for Security Reasons

Our system has detected an unauthorized login attempt to your Virgin Media from an IP address location different than one you usually use.

There is no need to change your password or other information about your Virgin Media Account

In order to protect your account, we will disable your Virgin Media due to our concern for the safety and integrity of the Virgin Media community.

In order to confirm that you are the rightful owner of this account.

We recommend that you go to (I have removed the link for reasons).

To complete the process, we just need to verify that this email address belongs to you.

Simply click the link above and sign in using your Virgin Media Account and Password.

Thank you for using Virgin Media services.

Never Ever click any links in an e-mail, chances are they are malicious and you would be opening up yourself to possible scams.

Bringing this one up as this notification was not just sent to me but quite alot of recipients, and it wont just be the 1 mail.

0 Kudos
Forgotten
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible SCAM

Manestream wrote:

Our system has detected an unauthorized login attempt to your Virgin Media from an IP address location different than one you usually use.

There is no need to change your password or other information about your Virgin Media Account

In order to protect your account, we will disable your Virgin Media due to our concern for the safety and integrity of the Virgin Media community.

To complete the process, we just need to verify that this email address belongs to you.

Simply click the link above and sign in using your Virgin Media Account and Password.

Never Ever click any links in an e-mail, chances are they are malicious and you would be opening up yourself to possible scams.

Bringing this one up as this notification was not just sent to me but quite alot of recipients, and it wont just be the 1 mail.

Looks like a scam to me but i'm not familiar with all VM's email templates so the link that was sent just check the domain?

Do a WHOIS search on the domain for example VirginMedia.com and if thats the case it's of coure legit (Goes for any email)

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - How everyone in a technical field should think.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Definitely a phishing attempt judging from language used and requested actions. Report it here, http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/, as a New Case/Complaint, Type of abuse, Security enquiry / Phishing report. For Log Evidence copy and paste the message source; in webmail select the message, click and then View source.

2017-01-12-00.jpeg

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Manestream wrote:

If the account has been disabled, why on earth would VM send an email to an account which is not accessible? The customer would never see it. VM may be inept on occasion but they are not stupid.

Nonsense. There is a big difference between a login attempt and a successful login.

If you use VM email "on the move", where you may be connecting through different devices, services and providers, 3G/4G/Public Networks as well as your own VM connection, different IP addresses and locations should be expected.

There is every need to change a possibly compromised password. Security questions and answers should also be changed.

According to the first line in the communication the account has already been disabled. To then say "we will disable your Virgin Media" is redundant.

In order to confirm that you are the rightful owner of an account you should have to go through a recognised DPA procedure. Clicking on a link provided within an unsolicited email communication does not come anywhere close!

The link you removed probably pointed to "Gullible - Please Click Here".

In the past VM have informed customers of potential account compromises via snail-mail, which ensures that communications go to a verifiable VM customer and account address, and is unlikely to be compromised. I see no reason for VM to have changed this practice.

Customers will be asked to call the VM telephone helpline, pass DPA regulations and then be provided with instructions to access their account and to change their passwords and security questions and answers.

Definitely a scam.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for making us aware @Manestream

It's now been acknowledged and confirmed as a scam by our Internet Security team: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-12-01-2017/m-p/3308072#U33...

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos