Menu
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Piracy Emails

I'm surprised there hasn't been a post made about this already

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38583357

Which is extremely funny, i mean, whats the point in emailing users when there is no followup? me and a friend have already agreed to try and compete to see which of us can get one first

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C168l1kWQAw76LA.jpg:large

But in all seriousness, what is the point of this initiative if not to try and scare random parents in to blaming their children?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Piracy Emails

VM have form here.

Say what you want about them, they have always done the bare minimum to comply with government edicts. The warning scheme started off as a bill to disconnect alleged pirates. And whilst there is a certain amount of self interest from LG  (disconnected consumers aren't a source of revenue) as with the blocking of certain websites, the implementation of the legislation they are doing weighs heavily in the consumers favour. Smiley Wink

In its current implementation  there is no requirement for discovery on VM's part.......no requirement to do anything except send an email to alleged infringers.

Theres an expression surrounding "horses"  "gifts" and "mouths"...

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I doubt that private torrent sites, who have the smarts to use https are even detectable

the one I use are not on the banned lists so no need for proxies even

only cheapskate plebs use public trackers Smiley Happy

( though it is good to see that  KAT is back , as kat dot how and flying under the radar for now

Perhaps Virgin, knowing they are guilty of depriving us of Game of thrones, Westworld etc via legit TV, are somewhat embarrassed at being expected to enforce the  "you should not really be downloading that.. " rules. Would they rather we all defected to Sky and watched those shows " properly"

shanematthews
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

VM have form here.

Say what you want about them, they have always done the bare minimum to comply with government edicts. The warning scheme started off as a bill to disconnect alleged pirates. And whilst there is a certain amount of self interest from LG  (disconnected consumers aren't a source of revenue) as with the blocking of certain websites, the implementation of the legislation they are doing weighs heavily in the consumers favour. Smiley Wink

In its current implementation  there is no requirement for discovery on VM's part.......no requirement to do anything except send an email to alleged infringers.

Theres an expression surrounding "horses"  "gifts" and "mouths"...

Well as i've said, its a joke in the first place, the only people its going to do anything to are parents that don't know their young child pirates things from inappropriate places, i mean, i'm the only user and the account holder, i know what i use my connection for, if VM dislike it they are more than welcome to disconnect me under their own terms, but, they wont Smiley Tongue

Atleast not until ordered to do so by those above, as pointed out, this isn't going to do anything to people who are using encrypted connections so i doubt i am even likely to get an email unless i have to grab something from an open tracker, which is rare

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Looks like BT are the first ISP to publish on their site about this initiative and have made a few obvious mistakes as pointed out by TF:

https://torrentfreak.com/bts-piracy-warning-information-confusing-outdated-170117/

I wonder if anybody else will publish equally misleading and confusing info.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tut Tut SCA I hope you dont visit TorrentFreak too often, you'll go on the BT GNutella watch list...

Its fair indication of the state of play that those responsible for enforcing the initiative, are entirely ignorant of either what it is they are trying to enforce, or how the whole thing works.