Menu
Colin58
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Outlook - Web adresses in the E mail text no longer work.

I have an Hewlett Packard PC which I bought in mid 2014.

Around a year ago a problem arose with Outlook.  I can no longer open hyperlinks of any type within an E mail, whether in the viewing pane or when fully open.  I have to right click, copy then paste in browser.  The error message I get is:

"your organisation's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you.  For more info please contact your help desk"

Of course as a private individual this leaves me puzzled.  Either someone changed the software on an auto update and I never noticed any advice.   Which is a pain I may have to live with.   Or my wife or I clicked on something inadvertently without realising, which is just possible.  If so I can find nothing in the F1 screens to indicate what we did and how to undo it.

Any ideas out there?

I think security is the appropriate board for this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outlook - Web adresses in the E mail text no longer work.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

what version of outtool : 2007., 2010, 2013...

and what version of windows

7, 7 pro, 10, 10 pro

I think that may be a windows pro message, if so it is nothing to do with virgin

what often works is to paste the exact error message into google and then try the search result suggestions

like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=your+organisation%27s+policies+are+preventing+us+from+completing+t...

now read the answers & see if any work...

the 1st 2 results are from Microsoft so start with those

i read in answer #2 that uninstalling google chrome can cause this

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

These type of problems can usually be fixed by changing setting. Take a look at all of them in Outlook and your web browser. You may be able to change the "restrictions" in gpedit.msc, but it's not for the faint hearted.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

there is a bug which windows admit to, and the fix does require regisyry changes - they have an automated easy fix download that goes it for you though

the resitry information which outlook consults on what  to use for a URL link becomes lost or corrupted. which leads to that error message

0 Kudos
Colin58
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all.  I will look over the options suggested over the next few days and report back.  Day with daughters sons in law and grandchildren pending.

To pick up on one question

I am on Outlook 2013, and Windows 8.1

0 Kudos