Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 12 (157 Views)

New street cabinet installed

Hi, am not a VM customer but signed up since I can't find an appropriate telephone number to call.

My village is currently being cabled by VM. Yesterday I saw that a street cabinet was installed on the footpath on the border with my property. Unfortunately it is positioned one foot from my garden wall and allows any easy stepping stone on to the wall thence to my garden shed and access to garden and rear of house. An 'undesirable' now has a ready means of access and escape.

Who do I call to discuss this, and organising relocation to somewhere that is far less of a security issue to private residence.

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 12 (137 Views)

Re: New street cabinet installed

If the cabinet is not on your property then VM are not breaking any rules. The plans will have been approved by your local authority, whose land it is on. I know this might seem frustrating, but there are cabinets all over the country in situations like yours. The likelyhood of you getting it moved if it is not causing an obstruction is virtually zero.

Relocating a cabinet will cause serious issues with the ducting that has been put in, & could result in half the road havingto be dug up again to relocate it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superfast
Message 3 of 12 (133 Views)

Anti-thief paint on your wall and shed might help, or something a bit more painful could be used but a quick word with your local council and police would be advised before going down that route.

Joining in
Message 4 of 12 (124 Views)

It's irresponsible to suggest that it would be my issue 'If ducting and half the road has to be dug up' to resolve the problem. VM has already dug up miles of road and neither they nor the local authority have consulted on the location of individual cabinets. If they had, I would have pointed out the additional risk they have posed and saved them the rework they shouldn't have had to undertake in the first place. Cabinet and ducting just needs to move 20 or 30 yards.

Hence would be useful to get a VM number to speak with someone to discuss. It ought not have to be my print to have to remediate a VM oversight.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12 (115 Views)

MikeKD wrote:
It's irresponsible to suggest that it would be my issue 'If ducting and half the road has to be dug up' to resolve the problem. VM has already dug up miles of road and neither they nor the local authority have consulted on the location of individual cabinets. If they had, I would have pointed out the additional risk they have posed and saved them the rework they shouldn't have had to undertake in the first place. Cabinet and ducting just needs to move 20 or 30 yards.

Hence would be useful to get a VM number to speak with someone to discuss. It ought not have to be my print to have to remediate a VM oversight.

They aren't required to consult you, the only way its going to be moved at this point is if you're going to pay for it, which will likely require multiple cabinets to be moved and result in thousands of pounds worth of work, 20 to 30 yards might not "seem" like much, but its a lot in the bigger picture of the network

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12 (111 Views)

If you are not happy you really need to take this up with your local council and not Virgin Media

Virgin Media would have followed all protocols for planing etc. as laid down by your local council so as far as they are concerned they would have done nothing wrong.

Your local council should have notified local residents of the work that Virgin Media planned to do, this is usually done by affixing notices to lamp posts etc. Local residents would have had an opportunity to look at what work was being proposed and would have had an opportunity to object had they wanted to.

If you feel your local council have not done this properly then you have the right to complain to your local council.

I hope this is of some help

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

Joining in
Message 7 of 12 (90 Views)

Just to clarify - VM are not required to submit planning applications or even consult with local authorities for such work so long as only public roads are effected.  Usual highways rules apply if, for example, traffic restrictions are required.  In fact, until 2018, broadband providers don't even need to apply for permission in conservation areas.

I don't object to the kit being installed - it's good to have an option in addition to BT Infinity - but I do object to the additional risk placed on the security of my property, hence I'd like some input from VM.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12 (82 Views)

MikeKD wrote:

Just to clarify - VM are not required to submit planning applications or even consult with local authorities for such work so long as only public roads are effected.  Usual highways rules apply if, for example, traffic restrictions are required.  In fact, until 2018, broadband providers don't even need to apply for permission in conservation areas.

I don't object to the kit being installed - it's good to have an option in addition to BT Infinity - but I do object to the additional risk placed on the security of my property, hence I'd like some input from VM.

What input are you expecting other than what we've already said? i mean, you can't honestly expect them to move it and disrupt an entire network, and you're unlikely to get much of an input here, only thing you can really do is lodge a formal complaint but even then thats not going to do much

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12 (80 Views)

MikeKD wrote:

Virgin Media absolutely do have to submit applications and consult with the local council to gain there permission to carry out works.

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 12 (78 Views)

From here I was hoping to get a contact number to speak to someone about it. That's all.
0 Kudos