Menu
twinks
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Netgear Security Advisory-24.12.2016

Netgear issued an advisory with fixes after it was found that certain hubs had security problems.

Is this their 'quick fix' for the issues with their routers in 2014 or a new threat?

The updated advisory issued a list of effected hubs but these numbers do not match my VM model number[VMDG490], although I seem to remember this model was not effected.

Could somebody shed some light on this matter?

Rgds

Twinks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netgear Security Advisory-24.12.2016

Hi

As you say, our hardware isn't affected by this issue in anyway.

It would appear from a quick Google that this is the fix to issue that was advised recently - VU #582384.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've flagged this to the @ModTeam to ask it be referred on to the security team.

Edit thanks for the quick response James

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

twinks wrote:

Hi Ravenstar

If you seem to think there is a need to flag this to the security team, are you not convinced there are no problems with the VM routers/hubs made by Netgear?

Rgds

Twinks

I just believe posts raising significant security concerns such as yours deserve investigating appropriately just in case there is merit to them, rather than simply dismissing it out of hand.  As the forum team are currently taking 7 days plus to get to threads, I'd rather have gotten an answer sooner for you.  And James came through. (My post crossed paths with his).

For the record All the Superhubs have remote access disabled by default anyway.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos

All Replies
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

As you say, our hardware isn't affected by this issue in anyway.

It would appear from a quick Google that this is the fix to issue that was advised recently - VU #582384.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've flagged this to the @ModTeam to ask it be referred on to the security team.

Edit thanks for the quick response James

0 Kudos
twinks
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi James

Thanks for confirming that my super hub is NOT one of the models with a security problem.

My understanding is that the RCE flaw is exploitable only if the remote administration/management feature is enabled. Is it on my model? Or is it on by default like some netgear routers are? How does one check this?

I also have concerns regarding the simplistic username and password combinations[e.g. changeme]. Is there a need to check/change anything?

There does not seem to have been much discussion here within the forums concerning this sibject nor any notification from VM - I get loads of spam emails almost daily from VM regarding TV, services and offers etc.

P.S. I still dont get any email notification re replies to my threads/posts, despite ticking the box????

Rgds - Twinks

0 Kudos
twinks
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar

If you seem to think there is a need to flag this to the security team, are you not convinced there are no problems with the VM routers/hubs made by Netgear?

Rgds

Twinks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

twinks wrote:

Hi Ravenstar

Rgds

Twinks

I just believe posts raising significant security concerns such as yours deserve investigating appropriately just in case there is merit to them, rather than simply dismissing it out of hand.  As the forum team are currently taking 7 days plus to get to threads, I'd rather have gotten an answer sooner for you.  And James came through. (My post crossed paths with his).

For the record All the Superhubs have remote access disabled by default anyway.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
twinks
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar

Thanks for the reply and confirming that RA is disabled by default. It will interesting to see if the security team respond.

Rgds

Twinks

0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I just entered a post where my Eset Security scan of the router said there were flaws in it and I should contact my ISP. it say vulnerability EDB-31617 As i am having problems thought that I would post on here today not knowing that others had the same problem.
0 Kudos
twinks
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jock1e

I have received an email notification that a reply had been made in this thread by yourself, only to read that your thread is not connected in subject matter to mine.

If you do not have a VM hub then the problems you are having, I think, are with the hub maker or supplier and of course Netgear. The list of Netgear models that are currently vulnerable are here -

http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/CVE-2016-582384

OR Google VU #582384

This problem has been ongoing since 2014 when I tried to get confirmation from Netgear, to confirm if my model was effected. They were no help whatsoever[no doubt Netgear was then in denial of any problems].

It seemed to me that in their latest advisory the model numbers had increased - hence my new concern that there may be a problem with hub I have[which is a VM model] - the model numbers on the VM hubs do not correspond to those hubs sold by Netgear.

You may find some info by a Google of 'EDB-31617' - you may have already done so.

For many years I used Newsgroups for troubleshooting - forums were yet to come to any meaningful degree and poorly utilised. It was considered very bad etiquette to 'hijack' anothers thread with a different problem/subject. It is my understanding that some forums operate accordingly. However you have started your own thread so I see no reason for a Moderator to move your post from here. My initial question has been answered and marked/solved. I wish you all the best getting a solution to your problem.

Rgds

Twinks

0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

twinks

It is a super hub that I have so not sure if we are talking about the same thing.
Tried the back of it for serial number but my eyesight is none to good.

I was not aware of any firmware updates but will have a look if I find my model number.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread I was just interested as I had posted on the forum a bit earlier about the same sort of problem.
0 Kudos