Menu
New_2017
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mirai Virus

Can someone please help me remove mirai software? I have installed F safe but I have received another letter notifying me that the mirai malware is still present ?
Can someone please help
Each time my son plays his PS4 the internet turns off so I'm thinking it may be related-could you please help?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mirai Virus

the mirai malware is almost always in the IOT devices such as internet enabled cctv, DVR or smart devices. its hard coded into the device and can not be fixed. Its not a problem that is going to go away or can be fixed. All effected devices will nee to be replaced.

I've never heard of it infecting PS4 its unlikely to be that.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If the default password of the device can be changed then the problem can be fixed.

Reset your device

Resetting routers and IoT devices infected by Mirai is enough to remove the infection. It’s a good first step. But this doesn’t fix the underlying problem, so you’ll remain vulnerable to future infections unless you take additional actions. And because Mirai spreads aggressively, you may only have a matter of minutes until you’re infected again.

Change default passwords (if possible)

Most people don’t change default passwords on their routers or IoT devices. This is a HUGE problem, since many of these devices use common passwords for the same model or line of products. And to make things worse, lists of default passwords are often available online.

Many attackers know people don’t change passwords on their devices, and use that to help them plan attacks. Mirai is programmed to try logging in using popular passwords like “123456” and “password”, as well as passwords that have proven effective against specific devices (such as “admin” and “xc3511”). So change default passwords whenever possible.

Source: What’s a Mirai Botnet Doing With My Router?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
the mirai malware is almost always in the IOT devices such as internet enabled cctv, DVR or smart devices. its hard coded into the device 

a strange use of the term " hard coded" - which more usually refers to non-editable code, placed in ROM by the manufacturer.

there's nothing hard coded about  remotely delivered malware that was not present when the device left the factory- a couple of posters have already given simple ways to remove it.

I would be amazed if its gotten onto a PS4 as those connect only via Sony servers. and Sony aren't that stupid, surely. 

all modern consoles are designed  to execute only signed code, as an  barrier to game piracy. No way can a miraii nfection sneak in.unless the coders  have the Sony/ Microsoft... private RSA keys.

the folks getting these letters probably  have zombified CCTVs, baby minders, sat navs....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

my hard coded i mean the way they get infected is hard coded passwords for services like telnet etc.

Security researches have seen infections on devices as little as 60 seconds after bootup.

The malware runs in ram and is infected using the hard coded password when the device is running