Menu
Micromet
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Malware letter

I keep getting these letters from the Virgin Media Internet Security about malware infections. I think this is pressure to get me to sign up for F-secure. Unfortunately Virgin Media do not do a version for Linux systems on which my router, PC and laptops at home run. As a courtesy, I have run conficker scans on a couple of family laptops that run Windows without finding anything. I have also run nmap security scans on both the router and my Linux systems - again without a single trace of anything nefarious.  I also subscribe to MxToolbox blacklist - and I am clear here as well. In the past when replying to an email that contained malware - I have got a returned email showing the attack. I have not received any returned email during the period that have been receiving these letters. If someone wants to indicate any other tests I can do - then please feel free. And it would be useful if the security team could give more information other than just a date and possible type of malware - was it email, website or what?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Malware letter

If you had an older no longer used virgin email address then as Virgin don't delete old accounts by default it could be the source of this issue, if so post back wait for a sftsff member to pop by and they can get the old account deleted

Hope this helps
0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you had an older no longer used virgin email address then as Virgin don't delete old accounts by default it could be the source of this issue, if so post back wait for a sftsff member to pop by and they can get the old account deleted

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Micromet
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks J0hn - seems like that might be the case. I don't use Virgin Media except as outgoing email portal - and I have several old email addresses right back to the NTL/COMTEL days - but one of these is needed for outgoing email verification. Be good to know which email addresses are still linked to my account and how I can delete them. There was also the issue some time ago - forget when but Ravenstar68 had a lot to say about it - when a lot of people were getting false positive bounced emails due to malware that solicited a blacklist rating, that when traced was back to a Virgin Media server or several. So it seemed impossible to know where the actual malware came from. This was way back in 2014 - but it seems Virgin Media servers are still getting blacklisted this year (in April see "Virgin email servers blacklisted"). Which reminds me - how do I attach a link to another community forum post thread?

0 Kudos