Menu
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MULTICAST DNS VULNERABILITY

Hi

I received a letter multicast DNS vulnerability  on my network.

I followed the advice and visited www.virginmedia.com/mdns and the only advice they give is to close port 5353. I checked both Port Triggering and Port Forwarding and there was no port 5353 open for any of my devices so I discarded the letter.

Today I came back home and I have again another letter stating that again VM has been alerted about a multicast dns vulnerability. Given I do not have port 5353 open I am not sure what else they want me to do.

Can anyone make any suggestions? There is no point in sending a letter warning customer about security vulnerability and making a single recommendation which, in my case, is not applicable.

Is there a way for someone to be more specific about which device is causing this issue or is there any more advice that can be given?

I use media server to stream video from my PC or phone etc, I have chromecast too, I access my PC using team viewer and remote control my PS4 and have a WD MyCloud, all password protected but all of this has been in place for ages so do not think it is the reason for the letter. I just recently bought Amazon Echo but, again, I do not think that is the issue.

What else should I do other than ignore the letters?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: MULTICAST DNS VULNERABILITY

Either

Take it out of the DMZ or apply my suggestion to port forward port 5353 to an unused IP address and/or port in the link provided by SimpleSimon above.

There is a known vulnerability that appears to be related to Spotify on the PS4 which is responding to unicast mDNS queries from outside the LAN.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
SimpleSimon
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is the PS4 in the DMZ?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Vince68
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

yes

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Either

Take it out of the DMZ or apply my suggestion to port forward port 5353 to an unused IP address and/or port in the link provided by SimpleSimon above.

There is a known vulnerability that appears to be related to Spotify on the PS4 which is responding to unicast mDNS queries from outside the LAN.

Ravenstar68