Menu
Highlighted
Sturan
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Letter from Virgin about spam - is F secure up to the job?

So I receive a letter today stating that my internet connection is the source of spam emails. I know I receive loads of them and just delete them. I have done all the scans and checked mail forwarding however a friend advised of a malware app that will identify and remove malware. This thing found loads that F secure has not picked up.  Is F secure worth it?  And how on earth do I know if I have solved the problem?   I am in the process of checking the kids laptops but I paid for F secure to cover all devices and prevent this type of thing....I am no super techie so any advice would be great

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Letter from Virgin about spam - is F secure up to the job?

Sturan wrote:

Like I said, I am no super Techie so maybe my expectations were wrong.....but how can I know I have resolved the problem of spam emails being sent from this connection

How do I know I'm safe?

If you have followed the above advice & have rescanned your device and found it to be clean, you can be confident that you have resolved the issue. …

source: Virgin Media Help - Home network SPAM alert

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sturan wrote:

So I receive a letter today stating that my internet connection is the source of spam emails. I know I receive loads of them and just delete them. I have done all the scans and checked mail forwarding however a friend advised of a malware app that will identify and remove malware.

If you are referring to Malwarebytes then AFAIK prior to release 3.0 it was a remediation tool designed to run alongside antivirus programs as and when needed however that changed with the release of 3.0, read more here: Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

This thing found loads that F secure has not picked up.

F-Secure is not alone in this respect and certainly not amongst the worst according to this article:

“Tracking nearly 4 million missed detections, and following the same methodology used earlier in the year; Avast, ESET, AVG, Kaspersky, and Norton were the top five products ranked by missed detections once Microsoft Consumer was removed from the mix (Windows Defender is on every system)."
[Source: Malwarebytes is tracking missed detections in traditional antivirus]

Is F secure worth it?  And how on earth do I know if I have solved the problem?   I am in the process of checking the kids laptops but I paid for F secure to cover all devices and prevent this type of thing....I am no super techie so any advice would be great

Before answering this can you clarify that the letter from Virgin Media referred to spam emails being sent from one of your Virgin Media email account, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Sturan
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks for the response.  Yes I was talking about Malwarebites.  The letter stated "Your Virgin Media internet connection has been identified as sending a high number of spam email"

I have done everything that has been asked and actually all my settings were on the most secure as per Virgin's advice.

I don't open up 'dodgy emails' or any attachments unless I am expecting them or they are from a trusted source. Of course I accept even a trusted source could be infected.

It appears it was my laptop that had Malware yet I am (or thought) I was super careful and the reason I paid for F-Secure to add extra security.

Like I said, I am no super Techie so maybe my expectations were wrong.....but how can I know I have resolved the problem of spam emails being sent from this connection

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sturan wrote:

How do I know I'm safe?

If you have followed the above advice & have rescanned your device and found it to be clean, you can be confident that you have resolved the issue. …

source: Virgin Media Help - Home network SPAM alert