Menu
adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Letter alleging my connection being used to send spam

Hi,

I've received a letter from Virgin Media today claiming that my account has been used to send large amounts of spam.

The only contact details on the letter are for a paid service to help me secure my computers.

All of my computers run fully updated virus scanning software, and are behind a firewall that blocks outgoing connections to port 25 in order to prevent viruses and trojans from being able to send mail to external mail servers. The logs of my Linux based internal mail server show no evidence of any unexpected emails being sent through it.

Who do I need to speak to in order to get sight of the evidence that this is occurring via my connection? If I could see the email or traffic logs that supposedly show this activity, I might be able to identify the source of any email and deal with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Letter alleging my connection being used to send spam

You will need to wait for one of the @ForumTeam to pick up your post and pursue the requested (log) information. In the meantime take appropriate actions to secure your account by checking your devices are free of malware and changing your account's password, security questions and answers.

AFAIK, these notices refer to spam sent (via SMTP) with your authentication credentials and whilst there is a chance it came from your connection it is unlikely.

IMHO, it is unforgivable that Virgin Media are still sending out notices without (log) details of the alleged infringement. Virgin Media, would you like to explain why this is still occurring?

0 Kudos
adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have changed the passwords on both email addresses on my account (neither of which are really used for anything), and all of my devices have up to date virus scanners so should be Ok.

I certainly read the letter as saying the emails had originated from my broadband connection, but research elsewhere on here suggests they may well have just been injected into Virgin's SMTP servers from elsewhere using my login credentials. Hopefully changing these will have had the desired effect.

Still look forward to hearing something official from VM regarding this though. As you say, the letter is pretty unhelpful as far as working out exactly what the problem is.

Andy

0 Kudos
adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Still no response on here from Virgin Media. Would be nice to at least know that changing my email passwords has made a positive affect on the problem.

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Judging from other similar posts if the spamming persists the process repeats itself; Virgin Media suspend account, send out notification letter, …

The post Account suspended - may have been used for sending SPAM? describes a similar situation to yours but has been highlighted to specific forum team members by @ravenstar68. You may wish to subscribe to it and at an opportune moment request the log details too.

0 Kudos
adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Odd, when I click the link in your post it brings me back here...

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Just posted in there to see if I get any response.

Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

So sorry about the lack of information provided you for this.

I'll be happy to look into this for you and have requested some further details via PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page). If needed I can refer to our Email Security team for further information on this.

I'll await your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

adhawkins
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

PM sent.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos