Menu
GreenLizard
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Letter about malware on one or more devices

Received an email and letter about malware being detected on one of my devices. Specifically cutwail.

Unfortunately no useful information about how this was detected, so it's next to impossible to verify if this is real or not.

However, as cutwail can only live on PCs; I have scanned both my PCs. Unsurprisingly both are clean.

So - can someone from Virgin Media explain how an automated system which generates these emails and letters is unable to provide a link back to the original malware detection or any further details which would help me to deal with the problem?

Seriously - what's the point of these emails and letters?? They are worse than useless as far as I can see, simply spreading fear and misinformation.

jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Letter about malware on one or more devices

0 Kudos
GreenLizard
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I actually read this before I posted. It is only marginally more helpful than the letter.

My original question: why can't they link to any specific details of the detection which generates the emails and letters?

They (Virgin Media Internet Security) are wasting people's time and NOT improving security with these letters. They should NOT be sending them out if they can't provide the evidence that they reference in them.
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have also just received one of these warnings. A device using my IP is infected with the iotmirai virus.

My PC is protected by strong AV software and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Anti Exploit Premium, a full scan is all clear.

The only other devices I know I use are an iPad, Samsung tablet and Windows 950XL smartphone.

I then googled iotmirai and realised I had forgotten the CCTV dvr recorder. I have a sneaking suspicion that when this was installed (not by me) the password may have been left as default. Smiley Sad

As the dvr has been spontaneously rebooting for some months now I have switched it off and will get it replaced ASAP, and make sure I set my own password this time.

FaxMachine
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I also got the same email from VM about cutwail, ran a full scan on my windows systems and found nothing. Totally agree with Greenlizard - VM need to provide more details.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

iadom wrote:

I have also just received one of these warnings. A device using my IP is infected with the iotmirai virus.

My PC is protected by strong AV software and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Anti Exploit Premium, a full scan is all clear.

The only other devices I know I use are an iPad, Samsung tablet and Windows 950XL smartphone.

I then googled iotmirai and realised I had forgotten the CCTV dvr recorder. I have a sneaking suspicion that when this was installed (not by me) the password may have been left as default. Smiley Sad

As the dvr has been spontaneously rebooting for some months now I have switched it off and will get it replaced ASAP, and make sure I set my own password this time.

Switching it off clears the Mirai infection as it sits in nvRAM so there's no need to replace it.  Just make sure the first thing you do is change the username and password.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

iadom
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, I actually was aware of that but as the DVR has been spontaneously rebooting for many months now and I keep having to reboot my router because it keeps dropping the server connection. Also plus the fact that I cannot access this system with my Windows phone due to Flash Player problems I am going to change it anyway.

kevnjohn
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I received a same email from VM I scan my whole PC but not found anything.