Menu
SomeUser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Investigatory Powers Act 2016 - Virgin Media policy statement?

Regarding the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 is there an official policy or statement from Virgin Media regarding issues such as:

• What security measures are being put in place to ensure browsing data collected is only accessed by authorised officials, what will be done to prevent Virgin Media employees or other unauthorised users from accessing customer browsing data?
  • What will happen if a security breach is discovered and data was accessed by unauthorised persons? For example how will customers be notified and what compensation will be offered in the case of this serious breach of privacy?
  • What technical measures will be implemented to make it possible to differentiate between different people using a single broadband connection as in the case of a Virgin Media router being used by a family or will all browsing data be collected for all users but only attributed to the bill payer?

Apologies if this policy information is already available, please direct me to a link, I couldn't find this information on any Virgin Media website.

Link to the bill:

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers.html

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Investigatory Powers Act 2016 - Virgin Media policy statement?

Personally I would just run with

"Your browsing history is now a matter of public record" and take what actions you deem appropriate from there.

As for a policy, surely its too early? AFAIK the discussion around effecting warrants and storing of information are still underway.

0 Kudos
SomeUser
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, it might well be too early, hopefully Virgin Media will let us know their thoughts on a policy later?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SomeUser wrote:
Thanks, it might well be too early, hopefully Virgin Media will let us know their thoughts on a policy later?

To be blunt, I dont know.

Theres two ways of dealing with it- Accept its an issue for subscribers and put a out public statement (or amend TOS) about frameworks for the mechanisms in the act. 

Or take the "its a compliance issue, separate to TOS and AUP" and make no (or very little) public statement about it.

I would imagine there's a lot of frantic discussions about which approach is best amongst ISP's. Personally I fear it may be the latter although I would have a lot more respect for an ISP that publicised the implications of the act..

Having said that VM do have a decent track record in some similair areas, the website blocking ordered by the high court, one could safely say they have done the bare minimum to comply.

0 Kudos