Menu
chiaramara
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

IP adresses - hacking

Hi, I have a Virgin broadband at home. My pc has unfortunately been hacked, someone got access to personal data on it. Now I am trying to do everything to secure my device and the whole home network, and I was recommended to verify whether my IP address is static or dynamic. I read here that it should be dynamic, but also that it does not change often. Can anyone please clarify how long the same IP is used? I have to make sure that the IP is different from the one at the moment of the cyber-attack (3 days ago). Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP adresses - hacking

The IP address is quite sticky and I have only seen mine change when either the SuperHub has been replaced or the segment of the Virgin Media network I connect through has been modified by Virgin Media. However, if you switch to Modem Mode you will have a different (sticky) IP address but will then need to use a router to provide the functionality lost by placing the SuperHub in modem mode.

Can I ask whether it was an opportunistic or targeted attack that compromised your PC?

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP adresses - hacking

IP addresses are recycled (over several months) - I had a period of time where the innernets thought I was in Great Yarmouth (I'm in Northwestern England).

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos