Menu
magemaggyus
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I fell for a scam!

So i'm ill at the moment and not completely with it. So when a person who I have now come to realise was a scam called up I gave them my post code and date of birth connected to my account. I didn't give them anything else and promptly told them to bugger off (in a less than nice why) when they got pushy. Is this something I should be concerned about? 

Many thanks! 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: I fell for a scam!

well your post code is not a big secret and you cannot change your DOB. so there's not much you CAN do...

except check balances and recent transactions on any other online accounts you have - it never hurts to change all your other passwords regularly anyway/

does your phone save a call history - can you post the number you were called from.. It may have been Virgin's annoying contracted out marketing- they are pushy as they are probably only paid on commission.

0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

"it never hurts to change all your other passwords regularly anyway"

It's worth mentioning, but frequent password changes are not only unnecessary but more often than not, dangerous. Sorry @cybmole

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PaulMoore wrote:

.. frequent password changes are not only unnecessary but more often than not, dangerous. ..

dangerous ??? please explain.

the only scenario I can think of is someone doing that via a hacked PC that is running a password sniffer malware. 

surely , chagning them in resonse to a dogdy telephone scam/ risk of stolen identity credentials  is plain common sense,

references:

If your Internet activities are confined to your PC at home, you can afford not to change the passwords every three months to six months. But if you access the Internet mostly on public computers, then you should change your passwords more often than this.

Why should I change my password? | Stanford Answers

https://answers.stanford.edu/solution/why-should-i-change-my-password

You should change your password periodically, ideally at least every six months. There are several reasons for this. First, passwords are often stolen without the ...