Menu
kippertie123
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 login password in clear

Just upgraded to a hub 3 and when logging in, the password is shown in clear for anyone looking over my shoulder to see. Thats terribly bad practice. can it be set to not show the password as i type?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 login password in clear

kippertie123 wrote:

Just upgraded to a hub 3 and when logging in, the password is shown in clear for anyone looking over my shoulder to see. Thats terribly bad practice. can it be set to not show the password as i type?

That's been known about for a long time and much complained about. The firmware team so far have refused to resolve this and other issues with Superhub 3 for going on a year now.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Your responsibility to shield the password from prying eyes. After many years in IT I can nearly always tell a persons password by their fingers on the keyboard, not that I ever want to find it out. I've got better thing to do.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've had to change my password since "upgrading" to the superhub 3.0 - it apparently doesnt like special characters now - You have to laugh - bit of a security downgrade!

Port forwarding doesnt work properly and there seems to be a few things missing from the menus that were on superhub 2.0.

Dodgy firmware released too early as usual!

VM clearly couldnt gie a hoot about its customers unlike old NTL!

0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's actually not the security risk you might think.

When you consider the environment these devices are used, it's just not a significant issue.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I wouldnt comment on what you dont understand Paul.

Security is paramount as Tesco and Talktalk have found out.

You obviously dont work in IT - The number of small companies i go out to fix security and server issues and run superhubs and even old NTL400 cable modems is quite shocking!

A university with all the cisco switches set to default password - security is THE most important thing in IT life!

0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't wish to start an argument @omendata but might I suggest a little OSINT before taking that attitude with someone?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Password being visible onscreen on the Hub 3 is the last of your worries.
Firstly changing it is not going to secure the hub from anyone who has physical access to it as all they can do it just use the Reset Pin hole and restore the default password thats printed both on the hub and the pull out card. Next if someone did manage to get software onto the PC to see the screen and see the passwords I would be more worried about the keyloggers that such software will also have to find your passwords even when masked on screen.

The Hub 3.0 is a Residential ONLY device and WILL NOT work on any of Virgin Media's Business Lines (I know for sure it won't as they tried to install one on my VMB line)

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
PaulMoore
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Put simply, if security is a concern, don't use the Hub 3 in anything other than modem mode with a quality router behind it.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What has open source intelligence got to do with the conversation?

I hate people who throw acronyms around - usually clueless IT managers with a degree in philosophy.

I am already on the deep web as I work as a security consultant so have to know what is current if that is what you are referring to!
If its an insult then GFY.

0 Kudos