Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How can Virgin Media be 100% sure they haven't been breached like Yahoo have been.

I thought about asking this question privately.  But I think it deserves an open response.

Being as the scale of the Yahoo breach has now been revealed to be much larger than at first thought, how can Virgin Media be 100% sure that they have not had a similar breach?

I ask this because parts of Virgin's security setup remain troubling.

1. Why in this day and age does Virgin still use 10 digit passwords with only letters and numbers.
2. Why when Virgin recently updated the security on their servers did they not go all the way? Despite the latest standard being TLS 1.2.  Analysis of the encryption methods used by Virgin shows that they are using TLS 1.1 - While I appreciate the difference in security may be minimal, surely it would have been more sensible to go with the best standard available?

@PaulMoore - please feel to comment and to slap me down if need be.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can Virgin Media be 100% sure they haven't been breached like Yahoo have been.

Its difficult to prove a negative.

In the absence of proof of a breach, we assume there has not been one. But thats true of any information. You know there's been a  leak when someone says theres been a leak and what it was.

Lets be realistic-  the only thing VM are going to say on the matter is that their systems are state of the art and there is no evidence of a breach.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can Virgin Media be 100% sure they haven't been breached like Yahoo have been.

I totally concur that it's impossible to prove a negative.

However how can anyone call a system state of the art if it doesn't include the latest standards is beyond me.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Always found it ironic that my forum password it more secure than my account password.
0 Kudos