Menu
calculus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Help re: "Your Virgin Media service is scheduled for disconnection"

Is it only me that finds VM so difficult to contact?  I messaged VM posters including the poster of "latest phishing news" but they do not accept messages!. Anyway, here is that message:

Hi. I got one of these "Your Virgin Media service is scheduled for disconnection" emails last night.

We had a sleepless night, especially my wife who thought that our bank account must have been cleaned out.

I finally found your message on this forum while trying to report the spam/scam email. 

1) This sort of email really should be picked up by VM spam filters (the senders name comes up as ##############). It should never reach a customer.

2) Putting a note on a forum is not a good enough response. Most users do not use those forums. VM should contact all affected users and let them know.

3) VM should find out who Illuminariumexperiences.com are (that is where the link seems to point), and bring them darkness.

Please reply to my email (removed in this version). I do not usually use these forums.(and as a first timer, am finding it less than user-friendly).

Thank you., J.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help re: "Your Virgin Media service is scheduled for disconnection"

The mods are there to make sure Forum rules are adhered to.  So while they may seem unhelpful, they are actually performing an important function.  The Forum Team can and do see any original versions of the OP's post including the email address in question.  Unfortunately, they do not work on a Sunday, IMHO they do need more bodies on the front line as the current response rate is unacceptable at times.

But let us look at some facts from the OP's posts

The From: address is often worthless.  It's easily spoofed and most email servers will let you send using any From: address you like.  However, spammers do like to use fake legitimate email addresses when sending so the mods will hide any email addresses to prevent them from being harvested by other spammers.

There are so many phishing emails doing the rounds that sending users an email every time a new one appears would be impractical.  Whether it would even be worth attempting such a thing is questionable, as it's been demonstrated that many users don't even read more important communications, a perfect example was when they closed the web space last year.  Some users complained that they weren't notified, only to later admit that they don't actually read all the emails or physical letters that Virgin sends them.

Note as well that spammers don't always host the initial links on their own websites.  Illuminariumexperiences.com could well be an innocent party who have had their website hacked and a small seemingly innocuous php file added.  Indeed on looking at many spam emails from my spam folder, this seems to be very much the norm these days Smiley Sad.

Common examples of files added seem to be

files.php
head.php
admin.php

and a few others besides.

Phishing Itself.

Unless you've been living under a rock, there have been numerous reports of how phishing attacks work.

1. Present a situation that needs correcting urgently before you "lose access to your account"
2. Send it in a convincing mail, that often includes images taken from the company they are claiming to be.
3. Provide a link, which directs users to a site where they request your username, password and possibly debit/credit card information.

The accepted wisdom in combatting this.

1. Realise that most companies will not send you an email out in this manner.
2. Never click a link in an email.  If you are concerned, contact the company directly via phone, or go to the companies own website by manually putting the address in a web browser.
3. Many companies provide means of reporting spam and checking known scams.  If you put company name report spam into any search engine you'll usually get a good reporting link as one of the top hits.  However for the record Virgin Media's is here http://netreport.virginmedia.com

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
calculus
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh for goodness sake!

My posting has been 'edited' by a moderator, who says 'go read the forum rules'. So much for user-friendliness.

I have now read the rules page. If there is anything prohibiting posting the email address which a fake email purports to come from, then I missed it. 

What I would like, is some response from VM about a) Spam Filter Failure, and b) Inadequate Customer handling. 

Grrrr.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

vm staff can take upto a week to reply here as this is a customer community forum. if you need a faster reply from vm you need to call in.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
vm staff can take upto a week to reply here as this is a customer community forum. if you need a faster reply from vm you need to call in.

but that would be pointless

you have already deduced

1. the email was fake

2. virgin don't care

3. the mods are often unhelpful

4. the forum staff take about 10 days to reply - not a lot of comfort when you are threatened with immediate disconnection

unless you are expecting an engineer visit date & time update it wise to ignore any email purporting to com from Virgin. They don't "do" email and they will not email you a response. There is no email address to complain to or to request help from. you are left hoping for other customers here to give advice.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The mods are there to make sure Forum rules are adhered to.  So while they may seem unhelpful, they are actually performing an important function.  The Forum Team can and do see any original versions of the OP's post including the email address in question.  Unfortunately, they do not work on a Sunday, IMHO they do need more bodies on the front line as the current response rate is unacceptable at times.

But let us look at some facts from the OP's posts

The From: address is often worthless.  It's easily spoofed and most email servers will let you send using any From: address you like.  However, spammers do like to use fake legitimate email addresses when sending so the mods will hide any email addresses to prevent them from being harvested by other spammers.

There are so many phishing emails doing the rounds that sending users an email every time a new one appears would be impractical.  Whether it would even be worth attempting such a thing is questionable, as it's been demonstrated that many users don't even read more important communications, a perfect example was when they closed the web space last year.  Some users complained that they weren't notified, only to later admit that they don't actually read all the emails or physical letters that Virgin sends them.

Note as well that spammers don't always host the initial links on their own websites.  Illuminariumexperiences.com could well be an innocent party who have had their website hacked and a small seemingly innocuous php file added.  Indeed on looking at many spam emails from my spam folder, this seems to be very much the norm these days Smiley Sad.

Common examples of files added seem to be

files.php
head.php
admin.php

and a few others besides.

Phishing Itself.

Unless you've been living under a rock, there have been numerous reports of how phishing attacks work.

1. Present a situation that needs correcting urgently before you "lose access to your account"
2. Send it in a convincing mail, that often includes images taken from the company they are claiming to be.
3. Provide a link, which directs users to a site where they request your username, password and possibly debit/credit card information.

The accepted wisdom in combatting this.

1. Realise that most companies will not send you an email out in this manner.
2. Never click a link in an email.  If you are concerned, contact the company directly via phone, or go to the companies own website by manually putting the address in a web browser.
3. Many companies provide means of reporting spam and checking known scams.  If you put company name report spam into any search engine you'll usually get a good reporting link as one of the top hits.  However for the record Virgin Media's is here http://netreport.virginmedia.com

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.