Menu
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6 (226 Views)

Google says NTLWorld is a Less secure app

[ Edited ]

Why does Google tell me that my Ntlworld email address is a 'Less secure app or out of date'?

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6 (213 Views)

Re: Google says NTLWorld is a Less secure app

[ Edited ]

The message below is what I received from Google.  I have had to lower my security setting!

Access for less secure apps has been turned on

You received this message because NTLWOrLD is listed as the recovery email for GMail If  gmail is not your Google Account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails.

Hi Ron,

You recently changed your security settings so that your Google Account GMAIL is no longer protected by modern security standards. Please be aware that it is now easier for an attacker to break into your account. You can make your account safer again by undoing this change here, then switching to apps made by Google such as Gmail to access your account. Don't recognize this activity? Review your recently used devices now.

The Google Accounts team

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6 (194 Views)

[ Edited ]

Google's way of saying there are more secure methods for recovering an account and you should look to those rather than using a third-party email address.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6 (152 Views)

I think what Google is saying is that NTLWORLD is not a secure app or out of date.  I use my ntlworld email address as the security email address for Google. What I want to know is why is Virgin media running an unsecure email service or why is it not up-to-date?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 5 of 6 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's not what it's actually saying.

Google like everyone to use the security choices they made. Sometime this is a good thing. Other times this goes against internet standards. If you don't use Google's security choices, they'll send warnings to you to try and get you to do so.

As far as I know using an ntlworld.com address as your recovery email shouldn't give the prompt above.

What would cause the message is where you're wanting to use some IMAP or POP clients to check Gmail for new email - https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

The reason you've received the notification at your ntlworld.com address is that's is listed as the backup address for any account changes - https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/183723?hl=en-GB&visit_id=1-636307413869517819-1609986259&...

If you don't check your Gmail account using another webmail service (such as Virgin Media Mail) or email program, you should check your device activity here https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity to make sure you recognise all the devices listed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6 (117 Views)

You may well be right but (IMHO) the recovery email address (account) should be as secure as possible and in that respect it is not, for example, allowing a password to contain all printable ASCII characters, including space character.

0 Kudos