Menu
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

F-Secure Network Protection App Does not Appear to be protecting my confidential data! Can anyone help?

I have a number of devices on my local home network, including an Android phone, a Windows 10 laptop and a Chromebook with Chrome os. I downloaded the free F-Secure suite of apps to protect my network and devices whilst browsing the internet and, I thought,   protect me from viruses and trojans.

Last week a pop up message informed me that my confidential data (passwords and debit card / banking details had been breached and my Chromebook was frozen by Windows security, until I called a number and got the problem resolved. I'm not sure if I have been scammed, especially as I was not working on Windows, but Chrome os, but I could do nothing with the chromebook anyway, as it was definitely frozen, and I could not get out of the pop up, so I called them. I'm not technical enough to fully understand what caused the problem, but I was told that F-Secure would not have prevented it as I may have clicked a link in a message and caused the problem myself (I know I never do this)!

The crowd I phoned offered to fix it and further protect me for another year for £120. After some hassle, they eventually agreed to accept £50 to fix and protect my network for 3 months. I reluctantly agreed as I believed I had no other choice. He could not fix the problem on my chromebook as he was not familiar with Chrome os, so I logged on to my Windows 10 laptop and we went through a number of procedures until he fixed the problem. He did not take any debit card or banking details, but agreed to take payment through my PayPal account, (where I know my banking details are protected and my purchase is also potentially protected) ..........everything was fine until today!

My Chromebook froze again with a message to call an american toll free number Who wanted to remove a Trojan and fix my m/c for $99. I refused and hung up.

Am I being really stupid and have been totally scammed?

My chromebook is still blocked and can do nothing (I don't even have control over the cursor). Can anyone help or offer advice?

Happy to prove anymore info as necessary if it will help!

If not it's a lesson  learned and this post / question may serve to prevent someone else from being stupid! 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: F-Secure Network Protection App Does not Appear to be protecting my confidential data! Can anyone he

Unfortunately you have been the victim of a fraud and the most important thing now is to be level-headed.

1. Disconnect any device the fraudster talked you through installing software on from your local network and the internet
  2. Consider what information is stored on the device(s) from step (1) and whether you need to take any immediate action to limit harm
  3. I know what PayPal is but am unfamiliar with its payment process. If any chance exists your security details have been compromised for PayPal change them; if this can only be done online then use a device known to be clean for this.
  4. As you have F-Secure make use of their services to ascertain what risk factors there are and help clean your device(s); their contact number is 0208 822 3632 (see here) and their open from 09:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.
  5. Contact PayPal to report fraud and try to recover money
  6. Contact ActionFraud (http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/) on 0300 123 2040 to report fraud
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: F-Secure Network Protection App Does not Appear to be protecting my confidential data! Can anyone he

I wish you had given F-Secure a call before proceed down the path chosen however as you are happy with the support and advice provided by  Epson (technical support, 01952 607 111) I will just reiterate the need to report the fraud to ActionFraud and PayPal.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately you have been the victim of a fraud and the most important thing now is to be level-headed.

1. Disconnect any device the fraudster talked you through installing software on from your local network and the internet
  2. Consider what information is stored on the device(s) from step (1) and whether you need to take any immediate action to limit harm
  3. I know what PayPal is but am unfamiliar with its payment process. If any chance exists your security details have been compromised for PayPal change them; if this can only be done online then use a device known to be clean for this.
  4. As you have F-Secure make use of their services to ascertain what risk factors there are and help clean your device(s); their contact number is 0208 822 3632 (see here) and their open from 09:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.
  5. Contact PayPal to report fraud and try to recover money
  6. Contact ActionFraud (http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/) on 0300 123 2040 to report fraud
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

用心棒, Thank you for your detailed response & guidance! I have followed most of your instructions, but have yet to contact PayPal regarding a refund, and ActionFraud! I immediately changed my hub passwords, my online banking passwords and as many online accounts as I could remember! I will pursue the other suggestions asap.

I contacted Epson support as I was having difficulty reconnecting my wireless printer, I thought, because I had changed the hub password, only to find that despite my efforts and a £50 charge, the network was still compromised and that's why the printer would not connect! They put me on to a Cyber Security Team, that they worked with, who offered to fix the network and provide a 5 level, unlimited devices, lifetime AVG Security package, which also had a number of smaller efficiency packages included! Of course there was a charge for this work and for the AVG package and they provided me with a quote before work commenced! The overall cost was over £350, I gave them the go ahead and they completed the work within about 4 hours and provided me with a very good and secure network and antivirus package which protects all my existing devices and indeed and future products connected to the network!  I now have peace of mind, but though an expensive lesson has been learned, it could have been much worse

I post this as a warning to other users who believe they are covered by their browser protection package (like F-secure)! Make sure if you conduct any financial transactions or hold confidential data on your devices, that you have a really strong package to protect you, almost regardless of the cost..... it's worth it!

Thanks again 用心棒 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wish you had given F-Secure a call before proceed down the path chosen however as you are happy with the support and advice provided by  Epson (technical support, 01952 607 111) I will just reiterate the need to report the fraud to ActionFraud and PayPal.

0 Kudos
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi 用心棒, I did not really intend to go down this path, but I was having trouble reconnecting my wireless printer. When they were trying to load new print drivers, they discovered the Trojan / Virus and suggested their Cyber Team. Otherwise, I would have gone to F-Secure first!
I have already raised the issue with PayPal, to try to recover the money! The first step in their process is that I had to write to the company that I dealt with to raise the issue, then they could get involved to provide a resolution!
I fully intend to follow your excellent guidance and will definitely contact ActionFraud too!
Thanks again for your invaluable help!
0 Kudos