Menu
NotMyName
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email Privacy

Can anyone help with the legal position regarding our right to privacy over email and Virgin's email system (which is handled by Google now).

I have a very dim view of Google and it's not getting any better with time (don't ask, it's too long and most of you won't read it).

So when Virgin farmed out our email to Google, as I recall we were not given a choice -it's a reasonable commercial decision for Virgin to lease out email as these servers are expensive to run and it saves them a shedload of dough - savings which I expect they pass back to us (in part at least).

The EU is currently investigating Google's email service to see if it breaches European privacy laws (I suspect that it does) so I'm curious if anyone else here is bothered by this. Particularly as it's very difficult to remove yourself from your ISP's email if you have a busy inbox. In light of the Edward Snowden revalations, we should all be concerned that trigger-happy security services are watching our every move and are know to misread innocent communications as was the case for this tourist just a few years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312

Also, I don't believe we were advised by Virgin as to the ramifications of this change when it happened - just that it was going to.

If someone can help with the contract T&C we have with Virgin that would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Joe

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email Privacy

Virgin Media Mail system isn't handled by Google.

Virgin Media moved off Google last year, and their email service is handled in house within the Liberty Global group on hardware based in the EU. All customer data that Google did hold has been deleted and verified as such by Virgin Media when partnership with Google ended.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media Mail system isn't handled by Google.

Virgin Media moved off Google last year, and their email service is handled in house within the Liberty Global group on hardware based in the EU. All customer data that Google did hold has been deleted and verified as such by Virgin Media when partnership with Google ended.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
NotMyName
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's handy to know (thank you) but you'll forgive me for not believing that Google deleted our data. I simply don't trust it.

Besides, I feel let down that they sold us to Google in the first place.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

NotMyName wrote:

That's handy to know (thank you) but you'll forgive me for not believing that Google deleted our data. I simply don't trust it.

Besides, I feel let down that they sold us to Google in the first place.

It could have been worse - they could have used Yahoo like BT and Sky do.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
NotMyName
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Aye, for sure they could. I found the story on the Register (looks like I was too busy naval gazing to notice the memo).

Seems that Virgin didn't do it for reasons related to our best interests though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/21/google_ends_isp_email_support/

J.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

NotMyName wrote:

Aye, for sure they could. I found the story on the Register (looks like I was too busy naval gazing to notice the memo).

Seems that Virgin didn't do it for reasons related to our best interests though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/21/google_ends_isp_email_support/

J.

No, VM did it because google told them to https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/apps/_zgHXEBjwKU google no longer supports ISP email accounts as of that date in 2015 so VM were required to leave the platform, it wasn't done as some sort of goodwill thing from VM Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos