Menu
NicolasGiani
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ddos Attacks with Virgin Media

Hello everybody, hello Virgin Media team! 

My name is Nicolas, i am 20 years old and a good customer of Virgin Media!

Few months ago started to work with Youtube, videos and livestreams so i created a contract with high upload speed (Vivid 200Mbps/s). Everything worked fine at starting because nobody was watching me, just an unknown youtuber!

After a while, people started to come over my livestream, hundred watcher, hundreds of likes, comments and everything. So, its normal when you do something public to have people who likes you and people who doesn't likes you! You can't be loved by the entire comunity, right ?

The point is, that group of people who doesn't like me, bought some cheap Roots (ddos softwares) and they started to Ddos my Home Network... all the time.

Even if i am just watching a movie, they Ddos my Home Network and i'm beeing discconected for 5-10 mins... even if i am in the middle of the Livestream... with 500 watchers ... 1000 , they're Ddosing me...

I said ok... i am from Romania, and whenever i had this problem in Romania i just need to call my internet provider, to let them know that i am beeing Ddosed and they're offering me more security and dynamic IP or something like that!

I called virgin media tehnical team/rescue team, not once, multiple TIMES.... and i told them, hello, i am beeing ddosed... you know what is the funny thing ?

An tehnical team operator/rescue team to ask me what is Ddoes.... that is funny...

I just google that quick and i saw that UK is like the third(3) most Ddosed country from Europe or something like that... 

And not only one operator asked me what is Ddos, MANY.... many... i called like 20-30 times in 2 weeks and every single time i was beeing asked what is Ddos!

So, this Virgin Media Team can't sort me out with this problem... let's be human...

I want to leave you Virgin Media, i want to go with BT or Sky cuz they will offer me a Dynamic IP so whenever somebody Ddos my SuperHub, after reboot i will have a new TCP4 Ip Address... But wait, Virgin media told me like, what ? No, you have to pay 300-400 cuz you have a contract... And i told them, ok i have a contract, but for what i am paying if i can't acces the internet... for what if those hackers Ddos me whenever they see me online... At the moment i am paying my rent, my bills with Youtube... i can't just forget about Youtube.... i need internet to keep going my work, to keep gaining money to stay alive... and what Virgin Media could offer to me ? 

I know the answer... " Unfortunately we can't help you with this sir at the moment " ... this doesn't help me... nope...

They told me like on 22 of January i will have a NEW FRESH IP.... i said ok is fine but... if the hacker will find the new one on 23 of January ? What i am supposed to do than ? To wait another 20 days for a new IP ? Quite.... silence from the operators... answers like "Hold on a second i will speak with my supervisor/manager" ... they transfer me to that manager and he is complaining me like "you've done something if they're Ddosing you" ... wait what ? What is you're problems guys... you don't need to have a reason to troll somebody.. you just do it because you don't like him... easy...!

Please, i need some help... beeing ddosed almost all the time and i can't do my job on the internet.... and if this problem don't get sorted i will go to the police! Many thanks!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ddos Attacks with Virgin Media

you think UK virgin are bad, you'll be impressed with UK police ( not) - good luck with that.

buy  a VPN

by the way, you bought a UK residential contract , that is not a contract for doing your job on the internet - for that you should have a business contract.. 

You are using much more than your fair share of the network, for what you are paying.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

i doubt your IP address will change on the 22nd of january, since that is when the IPv4 lease expires, but it will just renew to the same IP address, since the way the virginmedia network assigns IP address is part sticky, you could have the same IP address for months/years, would only change if you put the hub into modem mode, attached a 3rd party router, the hub was changed, the network was brought down and the host file was cleared.

Since with using BT,sky,talktalk etc.. all use ADSL network compared to Virginmedia cable/DSL network, and then IP addressing isn't sticky on ADSL.. you could report the DDOS to http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ and do the police, since if the attacks are UK based breaching the computer missue act, telecommunications act etc etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the only convictions in the UK for DDosing have been for attacks on major corporations - the UK police will show zero interest in you tube based kiddie squabbles.

and anyone using a Virgin residential package to earn a living is in breach of contract.

It's no wonder our residential package rates are so high, and that we have over-subscribed areas, if we are subsidising professional live streamers. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Buy a Router and put the SuperHub/Hub into modem mode. That will get you a New IP. IPs are tied to MAC address of the connecting Device on the WAN side so changing it will change the IP address.

But again as has been stated to use a residential connection in order to run a business is against the terms and conditions of your contract. 
Working from home on a residential line is OK but to use one as your sole source of making an income is not.
Youtubing to make money is a business and thus you are self employed and running a business using a connection that is not suitable nor permitted for such use. Get a Business Line.

It will also be said that if you constantly use your connection in a way that will affect others on your cable Virgin Media will Warn you and then Disconnect you. I have seen it happen here in my local area with someone who constantly downloaded and uploaded vary large torrents.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
NicolasGiani
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't make any kind of sense...

If my IP will change on 22 of January and the hacker will find it again on 23 what i am supposed to do ?

If i am just a kid (12 years old) and somebody just find my ip during a gameplay... what that kid suppose to do ? To make a business contract at 12 y.o ? 

Nope...

The point is, that you don't give security for you're customers in those circumtances...

you just tell at the phone (in 2 weeks an engineer will come) .. 2 weeks paid for no full internet acces...

i will cancel my contract and if somebody ask me about best internet in UK i will say that there isn't any best one!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

well the 12 year old would tell their parents/guardian what they are doing, and the contract holder would discuss getting a business account.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
NicolasGiani
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I tried to speak with them and make my contract as a business one, they told me to wait to expire this one and create another one.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

i believe you can switch to business contract, when the residential contract is active.. since if virginmedia business refused to do this, allowing the user to breach the Terms and Conditions.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

most likely there is no actual DDOS here, just someone who does not understand the limitations of an asymmetric cable network that is designed for fast DOWNloads,  not for multiple simultaneous UPloads...

..and who has not read the traffic management rules... Unless you are on the specific, more expensive Gamer package, & not the standard Vivid 200, uploads are capped.

show us your DDOS evidence before you go making a fool of yourself down at the police station