Menu
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

DDOS Letter does anyone know what it actually means?

I have got a letter form Virgin today telling me Virgin have identified a device on my network with DNS vulnerability. I called the support number they told me to turn it of and on again as they do on every call I make to them.

So as far as I can see I need to put my Firewall on Medium. I didn't really want to do this as it messes with my ports and puts my PS4 and Xbox One in Strict. However after putting it on medium all seems well so far I am on Moderate on my PS4 and Open on my Xbox One. Anyway my question is.....Is that all I need to do set my router to medium on the firewall to be protected against DDoS attacks? I have the very latest Norton security on all my no console devices and have firewalls on those so didn't think I needed a firewall on my router.

Any help would be awesome please as Virgin support are pretty clueless even though they sent the letter.

0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: DDOS Letter does anyone know what it actually means?

Have a look at the other posts regarding the mDNS issue.
Technically. any port is open to DDoS attack, but VM are getting their knickers in a twist over a port that is used by EVERYTHING that involves streaming/sharing media.

Setting the router to medium is just a poor solution when it only affects one specific port 5353, which is generally closed on TCP but open on UDP.

In a twist of irony, in the VM firewall settings, you can set to medium, and then just check the box for allowing multicast through, which just puts you back to square one.

As I've stated before, this has occurred recently from VM, and I suspect they have altered something on their network for the new V6 box. TiVo requires unrestricted access to 5353 TCP/UDP for communication between boxes, TV Anywhere and their new Telly tablet.Even if you don't have TiVo installed, the network would still be set up to allow traffic across this port.
0 Kudos
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In answer to my question should I REALLY be concerned if I have Norton 360 and my firewall set to Medium? Are they sending standard letters to cover their bottoms.

0 Kudos
monkehfu
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Should be fine.
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I love the way when I called them they had no idea what i am on about. Told me to reboot my router....I was like "did you really just tell me to turn it off and on again"?

shadowwraith
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I agree, i have had the same setup for over 2yrs and only now have i received a letter about this.
0 Kudos