Menu
Highlighted
Candybars1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Copyright infringement

Is there any actual consequences around the email that are being sent out. Everywhere I have read everyone seems to be unclear. I then phoned vm and they stated that I will lose my broadband connection. Isn't that against the contract I signed. Also if the can and will disconnect me doesn't that mean they are losing customers as I will go to a better isp. Seriously confused over the whole situation.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Copyright infringement

Candybars1991 wrote:
Lol. Again still though does anyone actually know what the consequences is. I have received a couple of these emails and nothing has happened

afaik at this point there are no consequences that follow the email, however, this could change without notice, http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#u... ignore the TV part of the URL its badly named, you are instructed not to perform anything illegal with the services provided, this will always have been the case and is not new and this would be valid grounds for a termination of your services if VM chose to do that, that being said, the company who sends these notices only monitors the common public peer to peer networks and is unable to monitor the ever increasing number of private peer to peer trackers on the internet, otherwise i would have no doubt got a fair few of these emails myself Smiley Wink

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What email, I haven't received one ... and what is the copyright infringement being referred to?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are doing something illegal then VM can certainly terminate your contract.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Candybars1991
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media, along with other internet service providers, is supporting the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign – a government-backed initiative that helps people access the content they want from legitimate sources.

The Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign has contacted us on behalf of owners of copyrighted material, who believe their content may have been shared using your internet account without their permission. The content could be anything that is copyrighted, such as films, TV shows, sports events or music.

This is the second time a notification has been sent to you. You'll probably have questions about why you are being contacted again and what it means, which this email will help to answer. It will also help you find genuine content and prevent the sharing of copyrighted material on your account in the future.

A summary of the information that the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign has provided to Virgin Media:

Copyright Infringement Report ID (CIR-ID): 11242569
Title of content shared: UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS (2017)
Time file was shared: 12:30 *
Date content was shared: 17/10/2017

View the Get It Right Information Portal for further details.**

Why am I being emailed?
We are sending you this educational email because you are the main account holder. The sharing of copyrighted material may not be something you did personally, but it was carried out using your broadband connection.

How is the information collected?
Representatives of content owners such as artists, moviemakers, record labels, authors, games publishers and broadcasters routinely monitor file-sharing networks to see if their copyright protected content is being made available and shared without their permission. If they notice an Internet Protocol (IP) address sharing their content (e.g. music, movies, books, games, sports broadcasts and other TV shows) without their permission, they let us know and we contact the broadband account holder associated with that IP address.

Has Virgin Media shared my account information?
We do not share any information that identifies who you are with the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign or any of the content owners. We do, however, provide anonymous reports to the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign to show the effectiveness of this awareness campaign. We have included your account information in this email to help you confirm that it is a genuine message from Virgin Media, but it has not been passed on.

What should I do now?
Please take steps, if required, to secure your wireless network and make sure no-one who is authorised to use your broadband connection is infringing copyright. This could include using file-sharing networks (often called peer-to-peer networks) to download and/or share copyrighted content without permission.

You can get more information about finding genuine content from Get It Right from a Genuine Site.

For more information about the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign and online security, please view our Help & Support page.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

*All timestamps are provided in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time), daylight savings do not apply to UTC. BST (British Summer Time) is one hour in advance of UTC.

**If you're using Outlook 2010 or earlier, you may find that this link won't work. Please try opening this email with a more up to date email client, or using webmail (through your internet browser). You can read more about this issue on our Help & Support page.
0 Kudos
Candybars1991
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't get why though. Fair I am doing illegal stuff. I am also pretty sure it wasn't apart of my contract when I signed 5 years ago. If it is new isn't that something they have to give you notice about. Also again that hurts them. Isn't pretty much anything you do online classed as illegal. Even reading someone else's writing and not stating who wrote it is illegal
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Candybars1991 wrote:
I don't get why though. Fair I am doing illegal stuff

'nuff said.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Candybars1991
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lol. Again still though does anyone actually know what the consequences is. I have received a couple of these emails and nothing has happened
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Candybars1991 wrote:

afaik at this point there are no consequences that follow the email, however, this could change without notice, http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#u... ignore the TV part of the URL its badly named, you are instructed not to perform anything illegal with the services provided, this will always have been the case and is not new and this would be valid grounds for a termination of your services if VM chose to do that, that being said, the company who sends these notices only monitors the common public peer to peer networks and is unable to monitor the ever increasing number of private peer to peer trackers on the internet, otherwise i would have no doubt got a fair few of these emails myself Smiley Wink