Menu
Pankyone
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Copyright Infringement Report

I received this today it’s the 2nd one we have had and each time I have checked it with all 4 of us in the house. No one shares our broadband.  The ip address does not seem to match what’s on our router. There is no torrent software on the computers. At 0444hrs no computers were in use. The 1st letter I got was for Pirates of the Caribbean.

What can I do?

See details below.

This is the second time a notification has been sent to you. You'll probably have questions about why you are being contacted again and what it means, which this email will help to answer. It will also help you find genuine content and prevent the sharing of copyrighted material on your account in the future.

A summary of the information that the Get It Right from a Genuine Site campaign has provided to Virgin Media:

Copyright Infringement Report ID (CIR-ID): 12631445
Title of content shared: KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (2017)
Time file was shared: 04:44 *
Date content was shared: 04/12/2017

0 Kudos
Kevin1873
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Copyright Infringement Report

Let's ask some questions?

- Do you use type of security on your WiFi which stops others gaining access to your router as a example WPS,WEP,WPA,WPA-2 etc..
- Do you use the default password that the router was assigned with?

This will rule out the chances of someone else using your WiFi as a example a next door neighbor or the house across the road.

With regards to the IP address's

They'll be a internal IPV4 address which will appear something like 192.168.0.2 (As a example)
This is the IP address you mentioned on the router which is your internal IP this will not be on the letter.

Then you get a external IPV4 address which will be something like 80.142.25.14
This is what identifies you and your isp in the outside world. Think of it like a digital footprint like a fingerprint when you authenticate yourself into your phone everywhere you go on the internet will leave this unique number behind to identify you this is what's shared through P2P connections which is the technology used a majority of the time to distribute this type of content and what likely will have been used to identify you to get that letter.

You can use a site such as Google and simply search "What's my IP" it will show your external IP address and you will be able to crosscheck that against the letter and see if it matches.
(This will rule out if the letter has been sent to the wrong person which can happen)

There are different IP ranges of numbers which can be used but it's a rough idea to help you identify a external to a internal IP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kevin1873
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's also worth mentioning it gets even more complicated because IP's can change and there's different types such as Static, Dynamic, Sticky etc... 

But it will give you a rough idea the problem is a IP address is considered as a logical address it can change.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This was discussed at some considerable length here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Timefile-warning-from-ccuk-admin-vrginmedia-co-uk/td-p/340...

It's very much their word against yours and there's not very much either the copyright holder or you yourself can do about it, as discussed in the above linked thread.Smiley Sad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos