Menu
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Checking a suspicious attachment

An email with a .dot attachment has arrived in my blueyonder account. The sender claims to have extensive personal information about me, and that the file contains details.

I smell a rat. I'm not going to open the file. The .dot format is one clue. I'm thinking of just deleting the message, but also wondering if Virgin have a server-side facility to check the attachment and deal with it on a more comprehensive basis.

Should I forward the message to an address like abuse@...? Is there scope for VM to check messages that have been sent to me?

Helpful Answers
SL46
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Checking a suspicious attachment

Hi

I've had a very similar email to my virgin.net account. Claims that details of my account have been incorrectly emailed to them and as a law abiding citizen they are sending into me. The body of the email quotes my address and there is a .dot file attached which the sender claims contains more details. They even send a password to open the file.
I was also wondering if there is an address I can forward it onto for checking?
Seems like it is dodgy as too similar not to be, but would be useful to know. Will delete if not.
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HappyPearl wrote:

I've had exactly the same - see my recently posted question - so I think we can now be clear this is a scam.  Does anyone know how to report this to Virgin?

https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Also see my reply to your other post here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Advice-on-suspicious-email-please/td-p/3380841

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Severus7 wrote:

Just to add to the list - same contents from a jacquesferland19@videotron.ca received March 28, 14:17 GMT + 1:00

I am bothering you for a very critical matter. Though you don't know me, but I have large ammount of individual info on you. The fact is that, most likely by mistake, the info of your account has been sent to me.
For example, your address is:

<Correct address included but removed for this post>

I am a law-obedient citizen, so I decided to warn may have been hacked. I attached the file - Severs.dot that that was emailed to me, that you could explore what information has become available for fraudsters. Document password is - 5476

1. spelling & grammar mistakes -> scam

2. there is a virus or trojan in that password protected .dot file. the password protection hides it from your internet security

doesn't matter how they got your details ( facebook much ? ) - just delete it

if you were foolish enough to open it., delete it NOW then run comprehensive scans and change ALL financial passwords immediately. if possible use a different device for the password changes.

All Replies
SL46
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

I've had a very similar email to my virgin.net account. Claims that details of my account have been incorrectly emailed to them and as a law abiding citizen they are sending into me. The body of the email quotes my address and there is a .dot file attached which the sender claims contains more details. They even send a password to open the file.
I was also wondering if there is an address I can forward it onto for checking?
Seems like it is dodgy as too similar not to be, but would be useful to know. Will delete if not.
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sounds identical to the one I got from arauzm@tradertanker.com (which is probably a faked address, even though the domain name is legit).

At present my copy is sitting in the spam folder.

Given that we've both got the same email, I reckon Virgin is in a position to see how many other accounts got sent that message, and are also in a position to analyse the contents to see if there's any further cause for concern.

0 Kudos
Severus7
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the list - same contents from a jacquesferland19@videotron.ca received March 28, 14:17 GMT + 1:00

I am bothering you for a very critical matter. Though you don't know me, but I have large ammount of individual info on you. The fact is that, most likely by mistake, the info of your account has been sent to me.
For example, your address is:

<Correct address included but removed for this post>

I am a law-obedient citizen, so I decided to warn may have been hacked. I attached the file - Severs.dot that that was emailed to me, that you could explore what information has become available for fraudsters. Document password is - 5476

HappyPearl
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've had exactly the same - see my recently posted question - so I think we can now be clear this is a scam.  Does anyone know how to report this to Virgin?

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HappyPearl wrote:

https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Also see my reply to your other post here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Advice-on-suspicious-email-please/td-p/3380841

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

its a scam - look no further than the bad spelling and wrong choice of words - its not even worth the posts here - delete it and move on

Tony
0 Kudos
dglp
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Let me take issue with that bit about whether it's worth posting on here. Three of us have had a concern about this attachment, and sharing the info here has made it a lot easier to understand. To my mind, it's definitely been worth posting about. Shows this forum can be an effective resource.

SL46
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I agree. Although all the signs were there, the fact my address was quoted made me question it. Seeing this post confirmed that it was a scam so definitely helpful
0 Kudos
rose11
Just browsing
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi this post has been very helpful, thank you. I also received one of these emails this afternoon and was very worried about it but feel much better now knowing I'm not the only one!