Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8 (413 Views)

Change primary email address

My primary email was hacked some years ago and the address in banned in many countries as it is being used as a remailer of spam. I want to ditch it altogether as there is no way that I, as an average  punter, can fix this. It is just to complex and time consuming. I would like to be considered as a special case. How do I go about this?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8 (724 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by risteard
‎23-02-2017 15:44

Re: Change primary email address

[ Edited ]

Hello risteard

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry but we would not normally change the primary email address. It may be worth considering ignoring it, registering another as your My Virgin media login and creating a new mailbox for use as your email address.

PS sorry risteard for the late addition but it looks like that mailbox is still spamming, please would you change the password as soon as possible and follow the rest of the advice here What to do if you think your email account has been accessed by someone else

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Dialled in
Message 7 of 8 (639 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by risteard
‎24-02-2017 17:22

I actually got my primary email address changed, after my NTL email that I had since day one kept being spoofed.

I rang and got the UK call centre, and told them that I was fed up getting emails from them telling me my account had been hacked when my password was changed seven times in one week and was random collection of numbers letters and special characters so could not see how it was being hacked.

said I wanted all my NTL email accounts closed but if they did that they would not be able to contact me or send me my bill, was told it was no problem they could change my email address to a new one for me and it could be on any system I wanted, so had it set up on a google account.

so now my primary log for my virgin media is a google email address.

there was minor hiccup when the back office deleted my old account info they deleted the new info as well, but a call to the UK call centre soon had it fixed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8 (725 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by risteard
‎23-02-2017 15:44

[ Edited ]

Hello risteard

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry but we would not normally change the primary email address. It may be worth considering ignoring it, registering another as your My Virgin media login and creating a new mailbox for use as your email address.

PS sorry risteard for the late addition but it looks like that mailbox is still spamming, please would you change the password as soon as possible and follow the rest of the advice here What to do if you think your email account has been accessed by someone else

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Joining in
Message 3 of 8 (352 Views)

Hi Nicola,

How do I register another email address as my Virgin media login? I have another Virgin media address but Virgin media won't let me log in to my account with it.

I will change to the password again but this will have to wait until I am clear headed and can work out what I need to do.

Regards,

risteard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8 (335 Views)

Hello risteard

It can be little difficult to spot where to change the My Virgin media login username and password, basically you need to login to My Virgin media with your primary email address, navigate to "My profile"  and then change the username and password in My details

It looks like your primary mailbox is being used for relaying, please would you login to it and check the following:-

Preventing spam

Review your signature and Holiday Notice to make sure they have not been changed. To get to this setting in Virgin Media Mail, click the Settings menu option  select the Email option and then look at the option for Signature at the bottom of the screen. Click the Holiday Notice and make sure that nothing has been added.

Preventing email theft

Check and if necessary change the following options:

1. Check the Default sender address to make sure you are using the correct address. To get to these settings in Virgin Media Mail, click the Settings menu option , select the Email option and then look for the Default sender address

2. Check the mail filters that forward or delete messages. To get to these settings in Virgin Media Mail, click the Settings menu option , select the E-mail Filter Rules option and see what filters (if any) are set on Incoming mail

3. Check your Auto Forward option. To get to this setting, in Virgin Media Mail click the Settings menu option , select the Auto Forward option and check your forwarding settings. This should either show the correct address, or be disabled

Check your Contact Email address is still an active email address that you can still access and get emails from if need be.

Appreciate it may be quite daunting but if you have any problems we or the community will help. Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8 (329 Views)

Thanks Nicola. I have begun the changes.
risteard
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8 (329 Views)

ha ha thank you good luck, let me know how how goes Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8 (640 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by risteard
‎24-02-2017 17:22

I actually got my primary email address changed, after my NTL email that I had since day one kept being spoofed.

I rang and got the UK call centre, and told them that I was fed up getting emails from them telling me my account had been hacked when my password was changed seven times in one week and was random collection of numbers letters and special characters so could not see how it was being hacked.

said I wanted all my NTL email accounts closed but if they did that they would not be able to contact me or send me my bill, was told it was no problem they could change my email address to a new one for me and it could be on any system I wanted, so had it set up on a google account.

so now my primary log for my virgin media is a google email address.

there was minor hiccup when the back office deleted my old account info they deleted the new info as well, but a call to the UK call centre soon had it fixed.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 8 (316 Views)

Thanks pcmanbob,
I'm going to do exactly what you say. Tried everything else but no go.
Risteard
0 Kudos