Menu
Well-informed
Message 41 of 52 (156 Views)

Re: Can anything be done to stop these annoying "survey" interruptions

mojouk1 wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

mojouk1 wrote:

Regardless of the type of malware, its point of origin etc its still directing this at VM customers. BT and Sky customers may or may not get a similar fake survey pretending to be from these ISP's but thats not my concern. Its pretending to be from VM in my case and its using the VM name and their reputation. If a customer was fooled by this and lost thousands of pounds would they be happy that VM appeared to not warn them even though they knew about this?

And as i've said, numerous times now, its not targetting a specific group, its just generic malware, VM cannot warn you about every instance of malware or every website that may or may not use the VM name, its impossible to track and its impossible to list, Vm already has warnings in place not to click suspicious links including this http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-Surveys/td-p/2848898 sticky which has been present on these forums for nearly 2 years, there is nothing more they can do, these fake surveys are not new, and there isn't anything VM can do to stop someone using whois data to lookup an IP to render text on a website for malicious reasons or otherwise, there is no way to warn all users anyway and even if you do email or write to them you have no way of knowing they understood what was in the letter or even read it, and even then it will still likely make no difference in the level of infections anyway especially in situations where the PC is shared with other users

My last words on this subject.

Why should VM's customers have to try and protect themselves from this potentially very dangerous malware, when as in my case at least, had taken every reasonable steps to prevent it from happening? If they have known about this for 2 years then surely they have had plenty of time and the resources to track the individuals responsible for this, shut them down and bring them to justice. And i repeat, a thread in a forum that most customers wont see is not really going to prevent some customers fooling for this scam. You and I have the experience with such matters to understand the risks of these attacks but there are thousands of VM customers for one reason or another that will not. They could send an email to customers informing them of this security risk at the very least just as my bank did when there was a security attack from fake emails.

Firstly, ONLY you can protect yourself from this malware, VM are not able to block it, they are not able to stop you installing it, they are not able to stop someone from visiting potentially unsafe websites, what exactly are you expecting them to do? all they can do is block URL's and domains are super cheap and easily purchased so that block won't help, VM don't prosecute malware writers, its not like they are using any VM logos or anything resembling the VM website so they don't even have any grounds to take legal action

And as i've asked you several times, how exactly are you going to contact every single user and ensure they actually read the message and understand it, some people don't use VM email and i just delete anything that isn't billing related, posting letters isn't really viable as those can get lost and thats before you get in to the cost factor, its not cheap to mail millions of people Smiley Tongue

There isn't anything VM can really do to combat this, they have a sticky warning you about it and unless you can go and give everyone a nice shot of common sense, stupid people will do stupid things regardless of how much you tell them not to do stupid things

On our wavelength
Message 42 of 52 (147 Views)

My point is not so much about VM finding the source of the malware, my main concern is with VM's lack of warnings to their customers. I had to look hard in this forum to find anything relating to this and most customers wont see it. There is a lot VM could, and should do IMO. For a start a warning on the home page such as a banner with a link to the thread about the scam survey, e-mails sent to every customer and even an old fashioned letter would be a start. Of course there will always be a few that disregard any warnings but this is not an excuse not to bother in the first place.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 43 of 52 (136 Views)

[ Edited ]

mojouk1 wrote:

My point is not so much about VM finding the source of the malware, my main concern is with VM's lack of warnings to their customers. I had to look hard in this forum to find anything relating to this and most customers wont see it. There is a lot VM could, and should do IMO. For a start a warning on the home page such as a banner with a link to the thread about the scam survey, e-mails sent to every customer and even an old fashioned letter would be a start. Of course there will always be a few that disregard any warnings but this is not an excuse not to bother in the first place.

They say don't feed the trolls.... but

1. a warning on the home page... which home page would that be. I haven't gone to virgin's boring, pointless home page in years.... you want a banner on  the home page of google... sure. Go  start a Kickstarter fund, a few $Millions should cover that for a couple of days

2. emails sent to every customer.. a super easy phish is to send exactly that out to everyone covered in WARNINGS and DANGER, then add click here to log in to learn how to protect yourself. the same stupid greedy people who do the surveys will fall for that in droves, giving thousands more compromised accounts to the scammers. A variation of that dupes countless idiots into buying scareware.

3. an old fashioned letter - let's see  5 million customers. 50p per mailed  letter - £2.5Million - the shareholders would love that.

ALSO

Regardless of the type of malware, its point of origin etc its still directing this at VM customers.

it's not - its an equal opportunity scam, all ISPs customers are eligible - they all get it via the same infection vectors. Thats'  been explained to you time and time again but maybe you need it done in pictures or something. The malware does not know the ISP of the infected machine until after it has infected it.

BT and Sky customers may or may not get a similar fake survey pretending to be from these ISP's

they do ( see #1 above)

but thats not my concern.

wow - amazing ethics you have there. So in your book it;s totally fine for BT and Sky subscribers to get fleeced by this "extremely dangerous malware" - only Virgin customers are worthy of your concern.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 44 of 52 (118 Views)

[ Edited ]

mojouk1 wrote:

Your reply goes a long way to understanding your mentality.

as do yours 

indicat mores responderes

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 52 (112 Views)

cybmole wrote:

mojouk1 wrote:

1. a warning on the home page... which home page would that be. I haven't gone to virgin's boring, pointless home page in years.... you want a banner on  the home page of google... sure. Go  start a Kickstarter fund, a few $Millions should cover that for a couple of days

2. emails sent to every customer.. a super easy phish is to send exactly that out to everyone covered in WARNINGS and DANGER, then add click here to log in to learn how to protect yourself. the same stupid greedy people who do the surveys will fall for that in droves, giving thousands more compromised accounts to the scammers. A variation of that dupes countless idiots into buying scareware.

3. an old fashioned letter - let's see  5 million customers. 50p per mailed  letter - £2.5Million - the shareholders would love that.

ALSO

Regardless of the type of malware, its point of origin etc its still directing this at VM customers.

it's not - its an equal opportunity scam, all ISPs customers are eligible - they all get it via the same infection vectors. Thats'  been explained to you time and time again but maybe you need it done in pictures or something. The malware does not know the ISP of the infected machine until after it has infected it.

BT and Sky customers may or may not get a similar fake survey pretending to be from these ISP's

they do ( see #1 above)

wow - amazing ethics you have there. So in your book it;s totally fine for BT and Sky subscribers to get fleeced by this "extremely dangerous malware" - only Virgin customers are worthy of your concern.

Don't feed the trolls? Thats bloody hilarious coming from you. VM send out thousands of letters about promotions trying to sell us more of their services all the time but I make a suggestion about a letter warning customers of a potentially serious security risk and its impossible? A company that considers the well being of their customers would do this as a matter of course. Its pointless arguing this any further with VM fanboys. And yes, as a VM customer my concern is in this instance is directed at VM, why would i be concerned with another company i have no dealings with? 

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 46 of 52 (101 Views)

mojouk1 wrote:

cybmole wrote:

mojouk1 wrote:

ALSO

they do ( see #1 above)

Don't feed the trolls? Thats bloody hilarious coming from you. VM send out thousands of letters about promotions trying to sell us more of their services all the time but I make a suggestion about a letter warning customers of a potentially serious security risk and its impossible? A company that considers the well being of their customers would do this as a matter of course. Its pointless arguing this any further with VM fanboys. And yes, as a VM customer my concern is in this instance is directed at VM, why would i be concerned with another company i have no dealings with? 

There is a difference between generic mailings that target a small section of the country at a time and mailing every single active customer with a broadband subscription, i mean if you want to finance it for no real gain then by all means, people won't read the letters and some of those who will read it won't understand it and you're talking about needing a several long page letter to properly cover examples of scam websites and how to protect yourself with easy links to software and removal tools, its nowhere near as simple nor as effective as you think it would be, there is a saying that applies here "You can't fix stupid" sure you can educate people willing to learn but you can't prevent people from thinking they know better than VM and ignoring the warnings

Do you know how many years it took to get some of my relatives to start using common sense on the internet? and even then they still make mistakes, one letter won't change anything at all, the hope is that the next generation of internet users will have this added as some part of mandatory education and will actually atleast know the basics before they get too invested in the internet

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 47 of 52 (95 Views)

Oh dear.

Did i say this letter needs to explain how to protect yourself from every security attack possible on the internet? This letter just needs to warn customers not to fill in any surveys claiming to be from VM offering a free gift and then asks you for your bank details to cover the postage for said free gift. For most of us this is obviously a scam but as you are fully aware from your own dealings with relatives there are many that can easily fall for it.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 48 of 52 (76 Views)

[ Edited ]

The simple answer is not to go on Facebook (or other social media sites). It's a fraudster's paradise.  That said, I have had my personal data stolen from a large American search engine with a cavalier attitude to data security.  I haven't actively sought out to give my data away, it just leaks out.  It gave me the idea for my triangle logo.  I digress, so back the point in hand.   My brother lives on it, and he got fake virus warnings, malware, browser hijackers which copy stuff into the registry so even if you remove the "search engine" it won't go away. I've wasted many hours of life removing links from the registry, dodgy downloads of programs called bgkopovkbvblov.exe (or other random letters), directories etc etc.  

The thing with my brother was that he ignored my advice about doing a system restore and put it all back on.  I had to delete all restore points on his laptop to stop him from doing so again.  He never scanned for viruses/malware despite me installing spybot search & destroy and free antivirus.  He also never updated them.  Eventually he installed Windows 10 which trashed his computer and cost him money which he doesn't have.  He then accused me of not knowing what I was doing (on several occasions), so I gave him the laptop telling him to "fix it himself", something he couldn't possibly do.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 49 of 52 (64 Views)

mojouk1 wrote:

Oh dear.

Did i say this letter needs to explain how to protect yourself from every security attack possible on the internet? This letter just needs to warn customers not to fill in any surveys claiming to be from VM offering a free gift and then asks you for your bank details to cover the postage for said free gift. For most of us this is obviously a scam but as you are fully aware from your own dealings with relatives there are many that can easily fall for it.

Not cost effective, because then the next threat that comes up will need a different letter costing millions each, if you're going to do it you need to do it properly otherwise its money wasted

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 50 of 52 (55 Views)

here you go-  warning after warning after warning from multiple BIG names & in media - yet still fools + money = soon parted. So many people thinking greed is good.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&rlz=1C1PRFC_enGB627GB627&biw=1749&bih=833&q=fake+survey+warni...

still , you can do your bit - stick a few on your home page, warn your fansSmiley Happy

PS A few posts back you got around to saying you fixed your pc in a few hours. IS that finally an admission that it was infected? Care to tell us all how, & with what, or does your public service crusade not stretch to that.

0 Kudos