Menu
mojouk1
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can anything be done to stop these annoying "survey" interruptions

I have the full/paid versions of Avira and Malwarebytes and also use Ccleaner and have an add blocker running on my browser. I still got infected by this and further more when I run a scan on these it does not find and kill it.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 22 of 52
Flag for a moderator

mojouk1 wrote:

Hmmm, interesting. It says its spread by surveys on social media sites but i have never filled out a survey on or via FB, the only site i use. In fact the only survey I have filled out was 1 from Virgin Media after contacting their customer support just a few days before i started to get this fake survey. It makes me wonder if this infection came from VM's servers?

you don't have to have filled out a survey yourself to trigger these. simply visiting a slightly dodgy site can be all it takes. I have seen them pop up when browsing on android tablets ( where you cannot add chrome extensions to protect yourself like on a PC )

. but you have the advantage ( on tablet) that most drive-by malware is targetted at Windows, so it has no effect if you do encounter it via android.. an android tablet ( with install apps from unknown sources disabled, and with no SIM card for malicious texts, is hard to infect.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 23 of 52
Flag for a moderator

mojouk1 wrote:

I have the full/paid versions of Avira and Malwarebytes and also use Ccleaner and have an add blocker running on my browser. I still got infected by this and further more when I run a scan on these it does not find and kill it.

scroll down about 4 posts for suggested explanations & solutions.

i can't give post # reference numbers as this silly board seems to continually re-number from 1 = latest post, but if you read the whole thread....

0 Kudos
mojouk1
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 52
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

MrRetro wrote:

Have to say I am surprised VM can't do anything about this or at least aren't putting up bigger warnings about this e.g. email, in myvirginmedia etc as they will have less technology literate users clicking on this and then complaining when they don't get their prize (and potentially get their account drained if it asks for CC details). 

People wouldn't read the warnings regardless of where you put them, VM also have zero power to do anything about these kinds of websites, they don't own the internet, nobody does, malware creators thrive on the, shall we say, less common sense using members of the internet, all the antivirus in the world will not save you if you're one of those people who are daft enough to trust the "Disable your antivirus to run FreePrizes.exe properly" messages they give out, a lot of infections are drive-by infections as a result of out of date browsers with compromised plugins on an end of life operating system, yes i'm looking at anyone still stupid enough to be running IE6 on windows XP, unfortunately, there are still a fair few of those people out there because they just don't know any better https://youtu.be/hXUvN-ijm7c?t=10m8s just take a look at this as an example of how many snowflakes get scammed out of actual money

The only cure for this is education, and sadly, with no way to force people to actually be educated there isn't a lot we can do, common sense is not as common as the name would imply, i can't even remember the last time i had to personally deal with a malware infection on my own machine

Yes, this can be the case in some cases but in mine I have very good anti-virus and malware software running on Win 10 and Chrome yet I still got infected by this.

0 Kudos
serendipitysam
Joining in
Message 25 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am getting these too - I have both malware bytes and superantispyware (pro edition) and they did not find anything or prevent them.  

I always seem to get them via ebay - I will be visiting a page on ebay and then will get an automatic redirect via 2 or 3 other sites which ends up at the retailboy.com site with the scam survey thing.   Perhaps ebay pages are being hijacked in some way?

The initial redirect is via retirednsa.org which a domain whois lookup shows is linked to a company in Bristol called TwerkMedia and someone called Algis Kirkliauskas of Glameratos LTD in London.   who.is/whois/retirednsa.org

However a Google search for that limited company shows no results, although Algis Kirkliauskas is shown as a director at two dissolved limited companies.    A google search for  Twerkmedia shows a Linkedin page for their marketing director and a website with an address and phone number in Bristol: twerkmedia.com/contact.html  They are described on techcrunch as "a website that provides automation tools for advertising and sales operations".   

Two of the websites hosting the scams are feedbackonbrands dot com and retailboy dot com which are both hosted on the same server. Their domain ownership info is hidden using a domain privacy service.  They are using a javascript to detect your ip address and that dictates which "survey" subject you will get - so Virgin Media, Sky, Talk Talk, BT broadband etc depending on who you use - obviously nothing to do with these ISPs - just a scam to get credit card info and drain your credit card/bank account, but less internet savvy people might think that their ISP is asking them to fill in a survey and hence get scammed.      

0 Kudos
mojouk1
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I think its unacceptable that the VM staff/Mods have yet to respond to this potentially dangerous attack or put out any warnings to their customers on their website. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's response is in a sticky post at the top of this Security Matters forum board that covers advice for this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-Surveys/td-p/2848898

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
woodifer
Joining in
Message 28 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Went through the whole procedure but still getting the fake sites "popping up" and destroying my games.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 29 of 52
Flag for a moderator

mojouk1 wrote:

I think its unacceptable that the VM staff/Mods have yet to respond to this potentially dangerous attack or put out any warnings to their customers on their website. 

If VM were to issue warnings for every kind of possible way an end user can screw up, they would be competing with wikipedia for page count Smiley Tongue

VM doesn't control the internet, they don't control your PC they don't control the actions you take, they can only suggest so much, using common sense on the internet along with a decent AV and a decent browser with an adblocker installed will pretty much cut your rate of infection down to near zero, sadly common sense is one of the rarest things that exists these days

0 Kudos
mojouk1
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 52
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

mojouk1 wrote:

If VM were to issue warnings for every kind of possible way an end user can screw up, they would be competing with wikipedia for page count Smiley Tongue

VM doesn't control the internet, they don't control your PC they don't control the actions you take, they can only suggest so much, using common sense on the internet along with a decent AV and a decent browser with an adblocker installed will pretty much cut your rate of infection down to near zero, sadly common sense is one of the rarest things that exists these days

Did you read my previous post? I have very highly rated malware and anti-virus software on my PC, both paid full versions and it got past both. I also use an ad blocker but still got this infection on my computer (its doubtful an ad blocker would have helped in this case anyway). Seeing as this virus is imitating VM surveys in order to steal money I think VM have a duty to warn their customers in a much more visible manor rather than post a thread in a forum that most customers wont see.

0 Kudos