Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can anything be done to stop these annoying "survey" interruptions

No, it hasn't come from Virgin Media servers.

If you look at what Facebook activities can trigger the surveys they are "fake survey scams spread like videos, fake offers, messages or links(shared by trusted users)". So this could be a friend liking a page or a video or anything posted for Facebook. When this then shows up in your feed it could trigger the fake survey. For instance the 'win' posts from Argos - except it's not the official Argos page, but '.Argos' i.e. close enough that it looks real but isn't.

Who use what IP ranges are public knowledge, so it's then easy for the site to know that someone is on a Virgin Media / BT / Sky network and alter the page appropriately.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mojouk1
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 52
Flag for a moderator

So you are saying this infection could have come from just watching a video in FB? Surely if it was that easy to get an infection like this then everyone that uses social media would be open to attack and have this crap on their PC's. 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 13 of 52
Flag for a moderator

mojouk1 wrote:

So you are saying this infection could have come from just watching a video in FB?

that is certainly possible

Surely if it was that easy to get an infection like this then everyone that uses social media would be open to attack

yes they are

and have this crap on their PC's. 

not so , because most take sensible precautions, such as running real time internet securty, adware and spyware blockers, pop up blockers , not using old insecure browsers...

If you don't do anything to protet yourself, then you have only yourself to blame. Also, he older  your operating system / browser of choice is, the more at risk you are.

So buy protection , or give up social media, or get infected.  You choose.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 52
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

Sure, remove the malware redirecting you to these very clearly fake survey sites

use a browser with ad blocker and privacy options ,like chrome. they will block it, once enabled

Not really going to help, adblockers only work against known URL's and it won't remove the malware causing the pages to open in the first place. sticking a bandaid over an internal injury won't stop the injury from bleeding you dry Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
MrRetro
Tuning in
Message 15 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's really fair to tell people they aren't taking adequate precautions, as these fake survey sites have affected a lot of people, including those who DO run anti virus and malware scans like me. I have been annoyed with these fake surveys for several weeks now and have since run full virus and malware scans (including for rootkits) with nothing being picked up, yet most times I go online I will get the survey page at least once. It's worse than pop ups IMHO as this isn't actually a pop up (in my case at least) instead it redirects you away from whatever page you are on so you have to close the tab/window and lose what you were doing. Extremely annoying. 

Can anyone suggest a way of getting rid of this if it is actually malware?, which I doubt as I have scanned many times, or if it is something else what is a good non intrusive, non performance sapping adware blocking extension I can use (Chrome) that will eliminate it (or at least block it so I don't have to see it)?

Have to say I am surprised VM can't do anything about this or at least aren't putting up bigger warnings about this e.g. email, in myvirginmedia etc as they will have less technology literate users clicking on this and then complaining when they don't get their prize (and potentially get their account drained if it asks for CC details). 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 52
Flag for a moderator

It is possible it's not classic malware that relies on a compromised system. It could be that it relies on a compromised post or link your Facebook feed. So when Facebook loads the compromised content it'll then launch the survey.

This is similar as to when the Ad networks have fake ads on them. Your PC can be completely clean, but if you get served one of the fake ads, you'll potentially get a pop up or fake website suddenly appear.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 52
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 52
Flag for a moderator

MrRetro wrote:

Have to say I am surprised VM can't do anything about this or at least aren't putting up bigger warnings about this e.g. email, in myvirginmedia etc as they will have less technology literate users clicking on this and then complaining when they don't get their prize (and potentially get their account drained if it asks for CC details). 

People wouldn't read the warnings regardless of where you put them, VM also have zero power to do anything about these kinds of websites, they don't own the internet, nobody does, malware creators thrive on the, shall we say, less common sense using members of the internet, all the antivirus in the world will not save you if you're one of those people who are daft enough to trust the "Disable your antivirus to run FreePrizes.exe properly" messages they give out, a lot of infections are drive-by infections as a result of out of date browsers with compromised plugins on an end of life operating system, yes i'm looking at anyone still stupid enough to be running IE6 on windows XP, unfortunately, there are still a fair few of those people out there because they just don't know any better https://youtu.be/hXUvN-ijm7c?t=10m8s just take a look at this as an example of how many snowflakes get scammed out of actual money

The only cure for this is education, and sadly, with no way to force people to actually be educated there isn't a lot we can do, common sense is not as common as the name would imply, i can't even remember the last time i had to personally deal with a malware infection on my own machine

cybmole
Community elder
Message 19 of 52
Flag for a moderator

MrRetro wrote:

I don't think it's really fair to tell people they aren't taking adequate precautions, as these fake survey sites have affected a lot of people, including those who DO run anti virus and malware scans like me. I have been annoyed with these fake surveys for several weeks now and have since run full virus and malware scans (including for rootkits) with nothing being picked up, yet most times I go online I will get the survey page at least once....

wheras I , and other posters go online and never see them. it is something on your PC that has gotten past your precautions. If the survey software runs only when you you browse ,  there is a hook into your broswer cache or preferences or plug ins that uis causing that behaviour. it cannot be controlled or fixed by your ISP

you have to clean your PC to stop it. get the best in-class scans and run them again. your last resort, which WILL work, is a clarn re-install of windows but that shoudl not be necessary. 

tell us what scans you have run already + what OS and what browser(s) you are using, for more suggestions. dont rely on freebies like MSE.

if you use chrome, add both ghostery and ublock. if you are using IE, STOP, and use something with better protections

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 20 of 52
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
It is possible it's not classic malware that relies on a compromised system. It could be that it relies on a compromised post or link your Facebook feed. So when Facebook loads the compromised content it'll then launch the survey.

This is similar as to when the Ad networks have fake ads on them. Your PC can be completely clean, but if you get served one of the fake ads, you'll potentially get a pop up or fake website suddenly appear.

which is why ublock & similar blockers can and will stop it happening. ( contrary to what someone else posted ) With an effective ad blocker in place, you stop the fake ad, so the survey does not get launched.

another complimentary approach is to change the DNS on your PC from virgin's default to openDNS , then get a free opendns account and tell it what custom categories to block. e.g. set it to block web spam. That is a very powerful and effective additional security layer.

i rely on malwarebytes pro, I was fortunate enough to get a couple of lifetime subscriptions, back when they still sold those.

hitman pro and spybot search and destroy are  also highliy rated

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/online-surveys-center-virus-removal/

if you google something like " best tools to remove fake surveys" there is lots more  good advice

PS you can also to some extent research the facebook etc links theory. you need to keep records of that you were browsing immediately before a survey pops up & look for patterns.