Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (75 Views)

Bogus phone calls

[ Edited ]

Just received a couple of phone calls informing me that they were from Virgin Media and that my internet had been hacked by somebody in Malaysia and was being used for illegal purposes, the caller asked no security questions  - I hung up when they asked for my mobile phone number, they then proceeded to call me again. Tried tracing the callers number with 1471 but no info (either he had typed 141 or was going through a switchboard with withheld numbers)

My guess is another scam attempt.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 4 (44 Views)

Re: Bogus phone calls

Another call today from an asian lady informing me that there were "fluctuations" in my internet signal - she hung up when I said there was no phone in the room in which my computer was.

I 1471'd the call: phone number was from 0256 9874587

I've checked out the number online - over 150 reports that this is a scam number.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (37 Views)

Yep this is a scam attempt, you were wise to be cautious...you can find additional information around online security in our guide  at Virgin Media help.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 4 (11 Views)

And lo and behold - yet another call from exactly the same number today - despite having already told them that I know they are scammers and have reported the number to Virgin Media, they persist in calling - marks for tenacity 10/10, marks for intelligence 0/10.

The reply I got this time was a very snotty "Well you do whatever you want!" before I disconnected.

0 Kudos