Menu
maadog
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Billing Scam ?

have received an email wanting me to up date my details  saying that they will disconnect me on the 5th Oct if I don't Mmmmmmmmmm I smell a rat !!  I think people need to be warned abou this !

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Billing Scam ?

Virgin Media do post about some known phishing emails for customers here to take note of, the 5th of October one they posted about here, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Virgin-Media-Phishing-Alerts-03-10-2016/m-p/322...

VM post about them more extensively here, link: http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/?branding=virginmedia which also provide the opportunity to report phishing emails. Mind you, check to see if the one you received hasn't been reported already before proceeding with a report.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media do post about some known phishing emails for customers here to take note of, the 5th of October one they posted about here, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Virgin-Media-Phishing-Alerts-03-10-2016/m-p/322...

VM post about them more extensively here, link: http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/?branding=virginmedia which also provide the opportunity to report phishing emails. Mind you, check to see if the one you received hasn't been reported already before proceeding with a report.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Giggal
Just joined
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've just received the same email with a disconnection date of 5 October.

0 Kudos
MAnderson70
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I replied and told them to go #### themselves! Smiley Very Happy You can spot these scam emails quickly and easily if you use a mail-client, such as windows mail. Just look to the senders email address.Usually anything to with a company such as Virgin will own their domain and email addresses will end @virginmobile.com etc. Spam/phishing emails will usually have a persons name or another domain name. Also, if you hover over any links, you will get the same idea. Links should take you to a recognised website, sch as virginmedia.com I've attached a screen print of the email I've got for people to see what I'm talking about. At the top, you see the incorrect domain name. At the bottom of the window, I've left the mouse hovering over the link, and the address is shown at the very bottom. It's clearly not from Virgin. Of course, you should always take caution even if emails do look genuine. Sometimes it's just a matter of spelling that can alert you.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
MAnderson70
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the language in my last post. I had edited it slightly, but not sufficiently it seems.

Sorry! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MPH1979
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I got exactly the same email. Thought for a few minutes, and then yes Google it and found this, knew it was a scam, but I can see how people do fall for it if you aren't up on scams.
0 Kudos
steve1711
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have received a message today claiming to be " virgin web team"

email address:  webteam.7604reminder@5249-uk.vm-payments.uk

i am am pretty sure these are scammers, anyone else had this?

0 Kudos
MPH1979
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't think they would ever ask you to submit account details online ever.
0 Kudos
Roger72
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have also received the same billing scam as others this morning! It looked so authentic that I almost 'gave away' all my details, but rang NaWest fraud squad first.It was only at the last moment that I realised that the email address appeared fake that I deleted everything, so maybe Virgin Media should put out an alert pdq as I guess other folk might well be debited by whoever is behind this despicable set up!! Please let everyone know.

0 Kudos