Menu
HappyPearl
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Advice on suspicious email please

Hi!  I've received an email from a stranger (the address appears to come from a legitimate company domain in Canada called Videotron) who acknowledges not knowing me but says she's alerting me to the fact she has received a lot of personal  information about me via an email.  She knows my home address for example which she cites in the email.  She says she is alerting me to the fact my account may have been hacked and attaches a word document that has a password (that she has supplied) that will show me what information "has become reachable for scammers".  While my instinct tells me this is dodgy I can't find any reference to this sort of attack on line and am concerned that she does at least seem to have some information about me as she knows my home address.  I have not opened the attachment but wonder if there is any way to find out whether I have been hacked.  Thanks

Helpful Answers
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Advice on suspicious email please

If you think you've received an email message with an attachment containing a virus,do not open the attachment.

To check a file attachment for a virus, you'll need to first save the file to your computer and then scan the file with antivirus/antimalware software. Please note, saving a file that contains a virus won't harm your computer; only opening a file that contains a virus can potentially harm your computer.

To prevent your computer from being infected by a virus, you should avoid opening attachments from people you don't know until you scan the file with antivirus software. If you believe your computer may have been infected, please run an antivirus program and then follow the software's advice on how to remove the virus.

You can also upload a file of up to 128MB in size to VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/ which will check it using multiple virus scanners such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast, McAfee, Malwarebytes and many more.

When you’ve scanned a file you can see how many of the engines detected a problem. You can also click on various tabs to check out detailed information such as the product and company name, version numbers, original file name and a whole lot more.

The VirusTotal FAQ can be seen here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/faq/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

All Replies
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you think you've received an email message with an attachment containing a virus,do not open the attachment.

To check a file attachment for a virus, you'll need to first save the file to your computer and then scan the file with antivirus/antimalware software. Please note, saving a file that contains a virus won't harm your computer; only opening a file that contains a virus can potentially harm your computer.

To prevent your computer from being infected by a virus, you should avoid opening attachments from people you don't know until you scan the file with antivirus software. If you believe your computer may have been infected, please run an antivirus program and then follow the software's advice on how to remove the virus.

You can also upload a file of up to 128MB in size to VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/ which will check it using multiple virus scanners such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast, McAfee, Malwarebytes and many more.

When you’ve scanned a file you can see how many of the engines detected a problem. You can also click on various tabs to check out detailed information such as the product and company name, version numbers, original file name and a whole lot more.

The VirusTotal FAQ can be seen here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/faq/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Andixrose
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just to let you know I have received a similar email today from a person reporting to be a law abiding citizen letting me know they have been sent my details by mistake and wish to alert me. They detailed my name and address in the email body then advised I open the attachment for more details.

I have not opened the attachment. The advice re checking for virus etc is way beyond me.

I have reported the email via Action Fraud website, forwarded the email to a police email address provided and deleted it.

So far I have no evidence of additional crime but can update my report if further evidence arises.

0 Kudos
cracklesnap
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ive received exactly the same sort of e mail from a videotron.ca e mail.It does worryingly have many of my recent word documents some of which they seem to have had before they were sent to me.!!! My computer is not telling me this is a virus but it may be some sort of Phishing ruse to get information.Is yours from Yvone too??Somehow it does seem that they have accessed my word documents Im not sure what to make of it either.Is it something to do with the microsoft office account??

0 Kudos
Andixrose
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just to let you know I received a similar email today. Law abiding citizen contacting me to let me know they have received a great deal of information about me by mistake. Provided detail of my name and home address in email and attached a file containing more information with a password to open. I did not open the attachment.

I also searched online and found no reference to similar.

After online chat with Action Fraud I have reported the incident via their website including originator email address, forwarded email to a police address provided and deleted it.

So far no evidence of further crime but if it does appear I will forward details via Action Fraud crime reference number.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

cracklesnap wrote:

Ive received exactly the same sort of e mail from a videotron.ca e mail.It does worryingly have many of my recent word documents some of which they seem to have had before they were sent to me.!!! My computer is not telling me this is a virus but it may be some sort of Phishing ruse to get information.Is yours from Yvone too??Somehow it does seem that they have accessed my word documents Im not sure what to make of it either.Is it something to do with the microsoft office account??

This may be worth reading. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39417479

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Xebec59
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Similar email received here (with same spelling mistakes!) BBC link is interesting but I don't use office 365 (believe mine is Ofice 2016). Also don't have a docs.com account

0 Kudos
Andixrose
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My email was sent from an email address which appears to be a Turkish magazine mottomagazin.com. The name on the email is Nila.

0 Kudos
maths15
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

got the same yesterday,  the address they gave I have not been at for five years.  I deleted it without opening the attachment.

0 Kudos
peadarm
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is no danger unless you activate the macros in the .dot attachment.

Deleting the email will be sufficient as long as you haven't opened the .dot file and agreed to run its macros.

0 Kudos