Menu
lazyellow
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Account Disconnected by Someone else - Ridiculous?

Hi everyone, very shocked by this but my broadband was playing up and when i tried the service check my account was flagged as Disconnected!?

Naturally I am straight onto the phone and I am basically told that unfortunately someone has called up and said they were moving into my property and as such my service was disconnected. Firstly I have lived in this property for years and own it. Surely there must be some sort of fail safe or check done before an account is disconnected!? Secondly I am told that it will take some time to reconnect "probably" 24 hours; I work from home and not only is there the inconvenience of being disconnected for a service I pay for, when I ask about what will be done to recompensate me for the inconvenience I am told "nothing as you are not paying for it"...? I have been a loyal virgin customer for years and every few months I get a lovely letter saying that my service (fiber only) has gone up a few £s which is great especially as NOTHING has changed no speed increase nothing, if anything my connection seems to get worse with dropouts at night. It's all a bit of joke really, I am also told that I could make a complaint but I will just get an apology letter. Thanks. Looks like I will have to look elsewhere, poor service, price hikes and no procedures in place to protect accounts? Ludicrous really.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Disconnected by Someone else - Ridiculous?

Follow Virgin Media's complaint procedure as details here and, should you choose to do this, it is important to progress the complaint through each stage as time frames expire (do not rely on Virgin Media to do this). To understand how compensation may be calculated look at the Independent Adjudication section and how those organization determine it.

Be aware of notice periods and early termination costs should you decide to leave.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If VM have incorrectly disconnected your service, without proper authority, due diligence and care, they are wholly responsible for reinstating your account and service, and ensuring appropriate compensation is paid.

To suggest you are not paying for your service therefore no compensation is due is somewhat misleading, In most cases VM customers pay in advance for their services. In effect you have paid for a service which VM have incorrectly disconnected. Their problem, and it's up to them to rectify the issue. At the very least you should receive a refund of charges, from the time of disconnection up to the time your services are restored, plus compensation for the aggravation caused.

Should you choose to leave VM then the early termination charges should be waived. VM have already removed your service and are in breach of their contract to provide a service you have already paid for.

Good luck.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

lazyellow wrote:
Hi everyone, very shocked by this but my broadband was playing up and when i tried the service check my account was flagged as Disconnected!?

Naturally I am straight onto the phone and I am basically told that unfortunately someone has called up and said they were moving into my property and as such my service was disconnected. Firstly I have lived in this property for years and own it. Surely there must be some sort of fail safe or check done before an account is disconnected!? Secondly I am told that it will take some time to reconnect "probably" 24 hours; I work from home and not only is there the inconvenience of being disconnected for a service I pay for, when I ask about what will be done to recompensate me for the inconvenience I am told "nothing as you are not paying for it"...? I have been a loyal virgin customer for years and every few months I get a lovely letter saying that my service (fiber only) has gone up a few £s which is great especially as NOTHING has changed no speed increase nothing, if anything my connection seems to get worse with dropouts at night. It's all a bit of joke really, I am also told that I could make a complaint but I will just get an apology letter. Thanks. Looks like I will have to look elsewhere, poor service, price hikes and no procedures in place to protect accounts? Ludicrous really.

Bit of a grey area, how often do you work from home, if its more than the time you don't then you would want a business line not a residential as the residential service isn't really aimed for this, unless you're paying for the homeworks addon, that being said VM would unlikely not be responsible for loss of earnings on a residential line anyway, if there was an aera wide fault that lasted 24 hours they wouldn't be liable for more than the pro-rata value of the downtime, which is likely all you'll get back anyway

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The T's and C's are very clear on the issue of working from home and have nothing at all to do with how often nor for how long you work from home.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy.html

5.2.4. trade or business use of the services of any kind unless used for remote access to your employer’s corporate network (and remember in any case that we are not liable for any loss occurring as a result of such use) or you subscribe to our small business product - The Biz. If you are a residential customer and you wish to use our services for trade or business use, you must sign up to a business service like The Biz.

Working from home by connecting to a corporate network - permitted. It's also clear that loss of earnings on a residential connection are not covered.

Independent business working from home - business connection required.

Surely the main issue is how an unauthorised third party was able to have the OP's account closed?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
lazyellow
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice everyone will look into this!

The working from home element has probably been misconstrued I was working from home at the time as I was off sick; the actual downtime and inconvenience whilst annoying was not my main issue what is however is the ability for someone else to disconnect me. Any reimbursement in reality was more for this breach by VM and frustratingly how it was dismissed as a minor issue. A manager followed up and explained that usually there is a week or so lag between requests to allow a letter to be sent out to acknowledge a customer leaving however on this occasion the disconnection was instant...not only that they could not give any compensation - I asked if i could have a month free perhaps? - she went on to explain that whilst customers are charged upfront they would pro rata the "cost" of the downtime and that I would not be charged. So for all my trouble and having to work off my phones hotspot I get £3...it is what it is. A month free would have been nice or even a VM tshirt or some other naff novelty. Lets see if i do get the £3 credit, I will probably end up getting a £3 price hike soon!!

Almost 24 hours now and still waiting to be reconnected.
0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am sure this will get sorted very quickly, but if you called up to talk to the retentions team (the option for leaving VM on the phone) and explain they have seriously breached DPA by doing this, I guarantee they will be quick to fix it.

Because only the account holder has the authority to close a live account, unless there has been non-payment of bills or a death and so on (obviously not been in your case) that is the only time they can close it themselves.

When the other "person" called up and said they were moving in the system should have flagged the address as live and either under contract or has been paid up to date, to which the agent should have then informed the customer they cannot do that at this time, end the call and then check with the account holder what was going on.

Then again the last agent may have been lying and wasn't sure why and made up something, that is also possible.

So yeah contact retentions team, the reason is two-fold they are good at this sort of thing and can also offer a better deal/compensation, and talk to them.

If not it is quite the wait in here for a response from staff, unless a Superuser flags the thread for you.

Majide!
0 Kudos