Menu
Fredsaid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

£25 Fee

Not sure where to post this so sorry if it's in thr wrong spot.

I browsed the Virgin media site looking at bundle pricing compared to my current provider.

initiated a online chat with a rep and discussed what offers were available. All good very impressed.

The agent pushed me to buy but as I explained my current isp contract ran until mid January so no decision would be made until closer to the time.

Thanked them for there assistance and left.

The next day I got a phone call from my wife telling me a Virgin media rep was at my property asking me to sign up to a deal ( a very good one admitedly ) Annoyed at first as I had made it clear I didn't want to commit until January.   I spoke with the Gentleman on the phone, He offered me a package at a very cheap rate and asked for a £25 payment which I would get back on my first bill date.The offer was only available for a few more days So i made a decision and said ok.  it didn't matter that my current isp contract was running until January as I could sign up today but my instal date could be for January.   Excellent news tyvm.

The rep came to my property a few days later for my signature to seal the deal as it were.

Cut to last week.  I received a phone call from the same rep and he tells me unfortunatley when he passed my order to the billing dept they flagged me up as owing Virgin £100 from about 9 years ago. I have been a Virgin media customer previously but ended my contract amicably. 

I recal them coming to collect our Modem or the set top box.

Now I feel a little hard done by here,  

I have never received a letter about such an outstanding amount and feel like I have just been cheated  out of £25,  

I was happy to sign up to Virgin media and give them another go after nothing but dissapointment from my current isp but to be told I have to pay £100 from 9 years ago was a kicker..  the offer from the rep now isn't very appealing as it's +£100 and sticking with my current isp works out cheaper.  So did I just get suckered into paying £25 off a 9 year old debt ?

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: £25 Fee

Oh dear ..... sounds to me like you have been scammed ... I cannot for the life of me imagine Virgin asking for an upfront payment AT YOUR DOOR.

I think its coincidence that someone knocked on your door the next day. Hopefully I am wrong that you have not been scammed, but it certainly sounds like it.

I would have thought that any upfront payment would only be made once a credit check had been taken (and that would assume you failed it), but even then, a £25 upfront does not sound right to me

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

fatblokefletch wrote:

Oh dear ..... sounds to me like you have been scammed ... I cannot for the life of me imagine Virgin asking for an upfront payment AT YOUR DOOR.

The £25 pound serves as a way for them to credit check the potential customer and open an account for them if all goes well. They get it onto their account as credit if all goes well. I'm not sure what the policy is regarding the £25 if they fail the credit check

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I stand corrected then ... apologies to the OP
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you queried with Virgin Media what the debt is for and why they failed to notify you of it for 9 years?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fredsaid

Thanks for dropping by with the £25 fee query and welcome to the community.

The £25 you have mentioned would be held against the potential new account the Sales rep would have been trying to arrange for you. They cannot transfer this money to an old account where prior monies may be owed as that was not it's intention when this was paid to us by you and we have no authority to move monies to another account without your express permission to do so.

If you have not already, then if you could contact our teams via 0345 454 1111 or via Webchat where they would be happy to look into this for you and arrange to get the £25 refunded.

Regarding the other monies, you would then be able to make an arrangement to clear this with the teams when you are able to do so.

If you could keep us posted on this if you need any further support then just let us know.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Fredsaid
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for all the replies above, Very helpfull.

I was initially concerned I may have been scammed with the rep knocking on my door asking for the £25 so it's good to hear this isn't the case.

I will be contacting the team via webchat a little later today when i get a minute.

Hopefully the issue can be resolved as I was looking forward to becoming a Virgin customer again.

Regards

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm sounds bad that the initial calls didn't flag this up, also when someone came to collect your stuff from you they would have informed you of any outstanding bills... even back then you had a 30 day notice so you would have paid in advance. Unless you called up to cancel gave your 30 days and didn't realise you still had 30 days to pay and cancelled the direct debit after the call?

Definitely ask them for a clarification on this amount of money and why.

Either way, since it is passed 6 years from your last payment... it would be statute barred anyway.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Fredsaid
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have not yet contacted support but oddly enough a co-worker of mine was just saying the same thing about the age of the debt. Explaining that if the debt was that old it would have long since been sold on by Virgin media and if I pay Virgin the amount I could one day end up getting letters asking for the money from who ever the debt was passed to. 

Again thanks for the answers, Very helpfull forum you have here Smiley Happy

I can't seem to get an operator via the online chat feature it just reports that they are busy all the time and says to try again later

Fredsaid
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I finally got through to somebody via the online chat but they just pointed me to the Virgin media collections team.

I have just got off the telephone to them and am a little dissapointed but hey ho.

I have been advised there is a outstanding amount of exactly £100 on an old account from 8+ years ago. 

I Am not willing to pay £100 for something from so long ago when I only learned of owing the sum a week ago,

Between us I was willing to make a part payment as a good will gensture if you like as I understand if I did somehow end up owing this money legit, and this was somehow an oversight on my part I could understand how i may be classed as high risk but this was lost on the person I spoke with.

I am concerned that Virgin are asking me to pay such an old debt when they could very well have sold on this debt as my co-worker advised, I could pay Virgin the £100 today and receive a letter from a 3rd party debt collector tomorrow asking for the same money. 

I decided this was simply too much like hard work. All I wanted to do was swap my Bt services for Virgin but alas it's not to be.

They have refunded me my £25 Payment which should be back in my account in 48 Hours so I guess thats it' game over.

Thank you all for your assistance again,  It's a shame some of these things cannot be resolved via these forums as they are much easier to use than the call centers.