Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9 (172 Views)

08004089340 - Virgin Media ?

Getting calls from this number claiming to be from Virgin Media.

Is it you ?

If it is, how am I supposed to know that? and not treat you like a potential scammer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 9 (169 Views)

Re: 08004089340 - Virgin Media ?

Just search this community and you'll see that it is. It's one of VM's most well know off-shore retention team's numbers.

If you don't want to receive marketing calls, ring 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from any phone and ask to be opted out marketing contact. The optout takes six weeks to complete.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9 (160 Views)

When I call VM they challenge me with a question in order to gain trust. When VM call me I do the same thing and they won't answer.

Phone numbers can be spoofed, so recognising the number is not enough.

Where do we go from here ?
Superuser
Message 4 of 9 (152 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ossify wrote:
When I call VM they challenge me with a question in order to gain trust. When VM call me I do the same thing and they won't answer.
They normally do, when you ring the number back you can hear the VM message anyway.

Phone numbers can be spoofed, so recognising the number is not enough.
Anything can be spoofed, including your entire being, it just depends on how paranoid you want to be about life.

+Add: As I mentioned you can stop the calls via my advised route above.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9 (140 Views)

Thanks very much for answering. You are missing the point. I want them to prove who they are.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 9 (128 Views)

How would you propose they go the extra mile? They can't go into detail of the account they're calling in about until DPA has been passed, as they need to be speaking to the account holder. Which rules out them talking about account details to verify things more. Also, the clearing of DPA via asking for part of your security question is something only you and VM know the answer to. They won't deal with you if you don't provide part of the security question's answer. There's a trade off between protecting the account they're calling in about and that's in what they can say at the initial point of contact. The number also has the VM message that can be heard when called back (as I mentioned.)

- - - - - -
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9 (120 Views)

My suggestion is I ask them for two random letters from part of my address and a number from my other contact phone number. Or we could have a pre-arranged word or phrase that they quote.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (104 Views)

Ossify wrote:
My suggestion is I ask them for two random letters from part of my address and a number from my other contact phone number. Or we could have a pre-arranged word or phrase that they quote.

That's what the security question covers, it also covers VM verifying who they're because only you and they know the answer.

Hypothetical situation:
VM:  Hi this VM, we're calling to discuss some amazing offers with you.Can you verify a couple of characters from your security question so that we can discuss it?
Cus: Fat chance, prove your identity
VM: What would you like to hear?
Cus: Tell me my address?
VM: Sorry, we can't discuss account details with unauthorized individuals. It's against the law.
Cus: Tell me a few characters of it?
VM: <answer>
Cus: Nice guess mate, try scamming someone else *hangs up* *Ka'ching.*

At the end of the day, no matter how may layers of ID (whether one, two or a million) is put in front of a telesales call. People will still be slamming the phone down and worrying that random offshore call centers are trying to scam them.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9 (95 Views)

Hypothetical situation # 2:
VM:  Hi this VM, we're calling to discuss some amazing offers with you.Which characters from your security challenge would you like me to say?
Cus: 7 & 8
VM: Certainly A & B
Cus: Correct
VM: Can you tell me the 1st line of your address and postcode.
Cus: 10 Downing Street, SW1A 2AA
VM: *tada* Today's offers are . . . . .

Hypothetical situation # 3:

Scammer:  Hi this VM, we're calling to discuss some amazing offers with you.Can you tell me the 1st line of your address and postcode.?
Cus: 10 Downing Street, SW1A 2AA
Scammer: Thanks, today's offers are . . . . .
a few days later . . . 

Scammer:  Hi this VM, we're calling to discuss some amazing offers with you.Can you tell me your DOB?
Cus: 25th December, 1970
Scammer: Thanks, today's offers are . . . . .
a few weeks later . . .
Bank: Why haven't you paid your credit card bill ?
Cus: What credit card ?

The scammer starts with little or no information and builds it up over time, then.

I agree with you, if someone's scepticism cannot be overcome then phone slamming occurs. If the information flow
is all one-way, how are we supposed to tell who is on the line, friend or foe?. Also, it does seem odd that there are
adverts on the TV encouraging us to sceptical. Yet here I am being asked why I'm a bit sceptical.

I wonder what VM's view is ?

0 Kudos