cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6404 is this number a scam?

bdw
Up to speed

This number 0800 183 6404 has called me at least half a dozen times during the last week. I don't normally answer unknown numbers that look suspicious but tonight I did answer. The guy spoke with a foreign accent and said he was from Virgin Media. He then asked me for my post code. I told him I would not be giving out any personal details and hung up on him.

Is this a scam?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Checking on this I can see that your account has been noted with the outbound call from one of the offshore sales teams by the looks of things (at 20:07 on the 30/03) so looks like the call was genuine on this occasion.

Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi bdw, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are receiving unwanted calls from us. 

I've gone into your account and changed your marketing preferences to No Contact so this will stop any calls you are getting from us. It will also stop any emails, addressed marketing and texts from us too.

It can take up to 6 weeks for things to completely stop but you should see it reduce as time goes on. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

65 REPLIES 65

Dominatez
Superfast
Read and decide for yourself.

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/08001836404

I read that before posting here but it is inconclusive. It would be nice if Virgin could respond officially. This has been going on for some time.

Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Checking on this I can see that your account has been noted with the outbound call from one of the offshore sales teams by the looks of things (at 20:07 on the 30/03) so looks like the call was genuine on this occasion.

Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I have two mobiles, XL TV package and broadband. I wonder what he was trying to sell me, PPI perhaps?

But seriously, if this was genuine then there are training issues with your offshore team.

How do you get them to stop!

I have had at least one a day for the past week. Phone doesn't ring just get a blank voice mail. Very annoying.

Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi captaintrips

Thanks for joining us on the forums and for dropping by with your post about the sales calls you have been receiving. My apologies that this is happening 😞

You can stop this in the following ways.

If we have your details for contact purposes and you would like us to opt you out of any marketing calls that we provide to you, then we can opt you out of these and this take up to 6 weeks to update with us. You can arrange this via our contact centres on the phone via 150 or 0345 454 1111. Alternatively our Webchat teams can also opt you out of these calls too.

Additionally for unsolicited calls you can register your details with the Telephone Preference Service link for your landline, and your mobile can also be registered on this link too. (TPS) Once you're registered with the TPS, it stays registered for the life of the number with you.

If any of these sales calls are silent, should this be an issue for you at any point, you can also register your numbers with Silentcall-Gard. SCG Silentcall-Gard takes 24 hours to activate but needs to be re-registered every 12 months.

Good luck and thanks again.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Is there an easy way to identify if they are officially Virgin when they call?

No offense meant, but 99% of the calls I get like this are scams. You really are scraping the barrel farming our personal data out to an Indian call center! Aren't you aware of the corruption and poor quality control they have out there!? In this day and age of scams and identity theft, you'd be crazy to give your personal data to a caller like this!

Hi Jimseyed,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums 🙂

Depending on your contact preferences, we will from time to time call our customers if we think there is deal that they will benefit from. 

Although I understand where you are coming from, we also need to ensure we are complying with data protection and protecting your details too. We used to ask you for your full password when calling however after listening to feedback from our customers we have changed to only asking for different characters of the password.

Once these characters are confirmed, we don't usually ask for any other information. 

If you are unsure and can't be 100% of the caller then the option is always there to have the notes saved on your account and for you to call us back on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

I hope I've been able to alleviate some of your concerns and we're here if you have any further questions.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I'm receiving the same. 

I receive calls 2 or 3 times per day, often about 1830-2030. I wonder who bothers to answer at that time of the evening

The blank voice mails are amazingly annoying - why wait for the voice mail to start recording and then hang up. It forces a voice mail text alert, I then call voice mail to check it, which is always blank and then I delete it. If they are interested in selling they need to understand how not to annoy their existing customers.

Because it is inbound to my mobile I have just decided to block it, which will avoid all of the above. As a Virgin customer I shouldn't have to do this though.