cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6404 is this number a scam?

bdw
Up to speed

This number 0800 183 6404 has called me at least half a dozen times during the last week. I don't normally answer unknown numbers that look suspicious but tonight I did answer. The guy spoke with a foreign accent and said he was from Virgin Media. He then asked me for my post code. I told him I would not be giving out any personal details and hung up on him.

Is this a scam?

65 REPLIES 65

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength
l'm pretty certain it wouldn't take six weeks to be stopped if the senior managers were receiving unsolicited calls from an unknown number and no message left on voicemail .......

@bdw wrote:

Why on earth should it take up to six weeks? You are clearly providing these people with a customer's database of people to be called. Why not just take peoples' names off the list. I can show you how to do it if you are struggling.

Virgin Media really have to take note of the ico's DPA advice to organisations regarding direct marketing: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/preventing-direct-m...

The Act says that you should stop processing for direct marketing purposes within a reasonable period. When considering whether you have done so, we take into account that a particular marketing campaign might already be underway when you receive a notice, and that the individual may subsequently receive further marketing material. However, we expect that in normal circumstances electronic communications should stop within 28 days of receiving the notice, and postal communications should stop within two months.

There is also the option to send Virgin Media a Section 11 DPA Notice which gives you the right to make a request to an organisation to stop processing your data for the purposes of direct marketing.

Again you should expect them to stop contacting you by communication by whatever means (1) within 28 days of receiving your notice, and post to stop within two months. 

Failure to comply means you can apply for a court order against Virgin Media under Section 11 of the DPA.

(1) See above link.

Communication by whatever means

The common image of direct marketing is that of mailshots or telemarketing. However, for the purposes of the Act it also includes all other means by which you might contact individuals, such as emails and text messages.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

I got yet another Virgin call from 0800 183 6413 on Saturday evening. I told them to stop contacting me. They called back this morning!

Surely Virgin should have a way of unsubscribing from this nonsense?

bdw
Up to speed

Can someone please unsubscribe me from this marketing mess?

@bdw wrote:

Just came across this. What a laugh!

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Great isn't it. Virgin Media, the serial nuisance call offender offering advice on how to deal with nuisance calls.

Hi bdw, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are receiving unwanted calls from us. 

I've gone into your account and changed your marketing preferences to No Contact so this will stop any calls you are getting from us. It will also stop any emails, addressed marketing and texts from us too.

It can take up to 6 weeks for things to completely stop but you should see it reduce as time goes on. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you but VM really need to have a think about how they are operating and what this is doing to their reputation. No one who has not requested marketing information should be pestered by these nuisance calls.

bdw
Up to speed

Did you contact the marketing people in the Far East to ask them why they are spamming people?

Hi bdw, 

Thanks for your feedback on this. 

I have passed this over. All customers have the option of opting out of marketing when they join with us. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs