cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6404 is this number a scam?

bdw
Up to speed

This number 0800 183 6404 has called me at least half a dozen times during the last week. I don't normally answer unknown numbers that look suspicious but tonight I did answer. The guy spoke with a foreign accent and said he was from Virgin Media. He then asked me for my post code. I told him I would not be giving out any personal details and hung up on him.

Is this a scam?

65 REPLIES 65

Omg, they are calling mobiles now too?

The reason for the blank voicemails is the calls are occasionally silent, their call center dialer isn't very efficient!
Often it's silent for 30 odd seconds of me yelling Hello... before I do eventually get put through to an agent!
Strangely the calls stopped after my last post. 😜
Hopefully they won't start calling my mobile too!

I heard Virgin arent doing so well recently so they are probably doing a cost cutting exercise. I've worked in companies who've gone through similar. They try to outsource some of they're activities to other companies and countries who charge less.
Unfortunately quality often falls too from the customer's perspective. But foreign salespeople are often great at selling compared to us "polite" Brits! So despite our annoyance it's probably good for Virgin and it's shareholders, hopefully that will filter back through to us eventually.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The way these carousel (auto) dialers work is to start calling a range of numbers and then put any answered numbers through to an agent. Of course often there any no agents available because they are on other calls and all the callers gets is a silent line. It's done like those to keep a smal number of agents busy all the time. 

What I like best are calls where the agents first starts by saying they are not trying to sell me something. Usually after explaining to them that someone must be paying their salary and it's not going to be me, they hang up.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

i have just started receiving calls from 0800 183 6408, Mr Number android app shows it as suspected spam and is now blocked....

Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you've also experienced trouble with these calls.

Please feel free to let us know if these continue so that we can investigate this via your account.

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength

I've just received a call from this number on my mobile, which I ignored as it was an 0800 number. As the caller didn't leave a voicemail message I presumed it was a scam. However, curiosity gained the better of me and I checked the number on the net to find it's an official Virgin Sales team number. I'm already pretty miffed with Virgin due to their appalling customer service. To further hack me off the've announced they're going to up my charges by £4:50 a month as they think I'll be ecstatic at the prospect of watching Geordie Shore!!! And they think I'm going to be interested in giving them more of my money? Seems if I go with another supplier for a year then Virgin will welcome me back at a heavily discounted rate!

Anyway, my point to Virgin is : rather than continue with following poor customer service practices, get a grip and start making improvements. In this case, if the person you called doesn't answer then leave a voicemail message and advise them what the call is about. Also, tell them where they can confirm that the number is a genuine Virgin call! Secondly, I would recommend you start offering incentives to your current customers rather than concentrating on trying to attract solely new customers! Of course you can continue with current practices until you have no customers left!

Like the original poster, when I was asked for my postcode I said "Why should I provide security information when I don't know who you are"

Normally the agent would advise that I can call back and provide a number (150 would be good).

But instead she said "in that case I will remove this discount from you account" and abruptly hung up.

I was then convinced it was a scam. But, this thread suggests otherwise. In which case your Manilla colleagues need more training.

Oh! Good. They're now resorting to threats, that will help prop up an ailing business model ....... keep up the good work people, hopefully at this rate another company will take you over and finally start treating customers properly!

virtualkev
Tuning in

It's genuine.

I called 150 as I didn't want to provide a random caller with my security info, and it was confirmed to be the sales team trying to give me a v6 box for free.

Glad I was curious, new box is on it's way.

I wonder if I can get some discount for being a customer for 20 years too.(lol ?)

Geek.

Just thought id sign up and say that I have received a call from this number tonight saying she was from virgin media and then asking for my first line of address and postcode which I gave although incorrectly as I do lol, I was then told I'm a great  customer and was offered a free v6 box with no extra monthly charge nor alteration to my contract.

What was worrying is that after she said your box will be delivered next week by Yodel she hung up none of the general spiel you get from Virgin " can I help you with anything else or try to sell you something" just hung up without saying as much as good bye! I feel sorry for the many elderly people with Virgin if this is how they act.

I will be calling 150 tomorrow to clarify this as within the last month I was offered movies and sports amongst other things free and when I called 150 afterwards I found out it was an extra £18 a month along with being tied with virgin for an extra 12 months. I exercised my Far distant selling regulations and cancelled immediately cheeky buggers even charged me at the time

Yes the box is free /cheer

Yes there is no installation fee /cheer

"all you have to pay is the one off £20 activation fee" 

Seriously, I am not as green as I am cabbage looking.