Menu
maggieann
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

upgrade to a Hub 3.0 for free

I have just received a letter addressed to Margaret Hill.  I am now Margaret Allsopp and advised you of this change four years ago.  

The letter says that if I do not upgrade by 30th April my old bit of broadband kit will stop working.  It says that you have made it really easy for me to do this but I have visited the web site mentioned and I cannot see how to do it.  I am hopeless with all this technology and normally my son or grandson deals with all this for me, but they are not available at the moment.  Can you tell me what I have to do.

It also said in the letter that you recently got in touch about the free upgrade, but this is the first thing I have heard about it.  I have certainly had no previous correspondence.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Margaret Allsopp

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: upgrade to a Hub 3.0 for free

Hi maggieann,

I can understand your concern but I just upgraded mine today and it was very easy. You get a booklet that explains what to do but basically:

1. You call the number on the front of the help booklet BEFORE you even attach the new router/hub. They send a signal to activate your new hub and disable the old kit. This was an automated line and was all done in about 1 minute.

2. You remove your old kit by unscrewing the co-axial (thick white) cable from the back, removing the power lead and ethernet lead (if you have one).

3. You then attach the co-axial cable to the new hub, attach power lead and ethernet cable.

4. Switch on hub (at the back) and let it run for about 3mins, then turn it off and back on again to reset it.

5. Wait for approx 30mins or until the hub has finished it's setup and all you see is the glowing base light shining (normally white). You should then be good to go!!!

This all took me less than an hour and I was up and running. Hope this helps...

Antoni.

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Margaret and welcome.  I'm not a VirginMedia employee but as a fellow customer I was a bit worried about this so I have flagged your post for a moderator and asked if this could be dealt with by a member of the official Forum Team.

There is a remote possibility that the email you received was a scam given that the name was out of date (Virgin still deny any data hacks) and the link might have been dodgy.   Hopefully that will not prove to be the case and a Forum Team member can guide you through the process of replacing your hub.

Best wishes.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Morning Margaret,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I appreciate your query in regards to the change of your equipment and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've taken a look at your account and the letter was sent to you from us so it is not a scam. I can see that you are using one of our legacy modems which does need replacing and there is an option for a free speed upgrade.

To discuss this further I have sent you a Private Message, which you can find by clicking on the purple envelope in the right corner.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

Hi Margaret and welcome.  I'm not a VirginMedia employee but as a fellow customer I was a bit worried about this so I have flagged your post for a moderator and asked if this could be dealt with by a member of the official Forum Team.

There is a remote possibility that the email you received was a scam given that the name was out of date (Virgin still deny any data hacks) and the link might have been dodgy.   Hopefully that will not prove to be the case and a Forum Team member can guide you through the process of replacing your hub.

Best wishes.

@Dave_cq - Just so you are aware - these aren't emails that are being sent out but physical letters.  There are a number of posts now from people who have had these.  It looks as if Virgin Media are planning to turn off the older DOCSIS 1/2 signals and concentrate solely on using DOCSIS 3.  The older equipment won't be usable once the switchover is made.

Hope this clarifies things.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

Dave_cq wrote:

Best wishes.

@Dave_cq - Just so you are aware - these aren't emails that are being sent out but physical letters.  There are a number of posts now from people who have had these.  It looks as if Virgin Media are planning to turn off the older DOCSIS 1/2 signals and concentrate solely on using DOCSIS 3.  The older equipment won't be usable once the switchover is made.

Hope this clarifies things.

Tim

Yes, thanks Tim.   A typo on my part as I was aware that letters were going out.  I was just a bit concerned that her former name had been used ... it could have been a new style of scam.  Anyway, all sorted now hopefully.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi maggieann,

I can understand your concern but I just upgraded mine today and it was very easy. You get a booklet that explains what to do but basically:

1. You call the number on the front of the help booklet BEFORE you even attach the new router/hub. They send a signal to activate your new hub and disable the old kit. This was an automated line and was all done in about 1 minute.

2. You remove your old kit by unscrewing the co-axial (thick white) cable from the back, removing the power lead and ethernet lead (if you have one).

3. You then attach the co-axial cable to the new hub, attach power lead and ethernet cable.

4. Switch on hub (at the back) and let it run for about 3mins, then turn it off and back on again to reset it.

5. Wait for approx 30mins or until the hub has finished it's setup and all you see is the glowing base light shining (normally white). You should then be good to go!!!

This all took me less than an hour and I was up and running. Hope this helps...

Antoni.