Menu
foster6063
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

unidentified network/invalid IP address

Can anyone help. I've got the Hub3, all devices are connected apart from my laptop. It can see the hub says unidentified network and invalid IP address
Thanks
David
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: unidentified network/invalid IP address

hiya @foster6063 welcome to the virginmedia community forum, is this laptop running windows xp/vista,7/8/10 etc?, also how old is that laptop since might need a driver update..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
foster6063
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's running windows 10 it's a couple of years old.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

would be worth going to the manufactures website of the laptop for possible driver updates if you could post the make/model might be able to give direct link..to check the current driver date:
Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
expand network adapters and double click on your wireless choose driver
should show the driver date.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Dazzla
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

make sure your tcp/ip v4 settings are set to dhcp (auto) your modem will then select an i.p. and tell your laptop to assign it....

from Microsoft
Do one of the following:

In Windows 10, in the search box on the taskbar, type View network connections, and then select View network connections at the top of the list.
In Windows 8.1, select the Start button, start typing View network connections, and then select View network connections in the list.
In Windows 7, open Network Connections by selecting the Start button, and then selecting Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, select View network connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then select Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then select Properties.
To specify IPv4 IP address settings, do one of the following:

To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, select Obtain an IP address automatically, and then select OK.
To specify an IP address, select Use the following IP address, and then, in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

VM Engineer
Running Hitron CGN4-BIZ 350mb Static
0 Kudos
foster6063
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help but still not working. My laptop is a HP Pavillion
0 Kudos
Mirr
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I bet you are connecting your lap by WiFi and you dont have this problem when connected by cable ?

To be sure and provide more info for previous posters...:

On your keyboard press the “windows” key and the “R” key simultaneously.

Enter the command : 

mmc devmgmt.msc

Show us the output. There should be not an exclamation mark.

Ps. This is mine :

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos