Menu
Jamiesp
Tuning in
Message 91 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Re: superhub keeps losing internet connection ??

Same problem here too! My Mac tells me very clearly that the dropouts occur from internet source, not downstream. Virgin not listening.

Restarting the Superhub normally fixes the dropouts for a brief time, but then they return.

I'm struggling to understand the VM standard response of, "Everything's fine our end. Just restart your Superhub and see if that fixes the problem."

If everything is fine their end, i.e. from internet feed to Superhub, then why does rebooting the Superhub fix the problem (temporarily)??

I'm paying a small fortune for high speed internet, but I can't even listen to internet radio on a weekend morning, let alone stream a movie.

I get better internet at friends and family on Sky or BT with much slower speeds, simply because they have a stable feed.

I'm at the end of my tether with VM and their refusal / inability to help.

Looking forward to trying Sky instead...

sinbad69
Tuning in
Message 92 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I have installed that BQM thing also and it is shocking.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/26e65f5f45ac9f5f3ec52da61d7a38b648...

Can some one please sort this as it is unacceptable. I have tried all suggested solutions, changing channels etc. But still the signal keeps dropping.

0 Kudos
pisuke
Joining in
Message 93 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma, the hub started blinking the green blue and blue leds crazily two days ago and have booked a technician to have a look. He/she will come tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be fixed. There are some major problems with reliability of Virgin Media services, I hope they can be rectified for good as the last couple of years have been pretty bad in terms of broadband. Thanks, Francesco
0 Kudos
dave51uk
Tuning in
Message 94 of 140
Flag for a moderator

why is it every home I've been to with virgin media  has the same problem over and over again ?

lost connection keeps dropping. Why hasn't virgin done something about this  I'm having the same problem now for the last few days its getting worse

will you post something that will help or put money into fixing problems

0 Kudos
dave51uk
Tuning in
Message 95 of 140
Flag for a moderator

hi my hard wire keeps dropping to when in games or just browsing internet getting to the point where need to phone and record  conversation as you need to be taken to court for not supplying a reliable service

0 Kudos
dave51uk
Tuning in
Message 96 of 140
Flag for a moderator

and it looks like there are a few people with  the same problem.

look like need to make a web page for donations to take you to court

as a company you do not look after you customers just money grabbing

how many people have the same problem that's not on here

Jamiesp
Tuning in
Message 97 of 140
Flag for a moderator

I think we should copying this discussion and carrying on on a more public forum, like twitter! I don't have a twitter account but I might just create one to do just that. Anyone here with one should just do it straight away. It really is appalling service. I phoned again yesterday and they point blank refused to send an engineer out. Then told me the manager would call me back. And guess what... he didn't! Unbelievable. Moving house soon. Sky next time around for me!!
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 98 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamiesp, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look at your connection and things seem to be great from this side. 

So we can get to the bottom of this we are going to need to run through some questions with you. 

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection? If wireless try wired. Pop the hub into modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking. Let us know if this makes a difference. 

If you could post up the results from your MAC that would also help. 

I would like to see a BQM so we can get a better idea of what you are seeing from your side. (Please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its contents).

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jamiesp
Tuning in
Message 99 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Emma,

Wired or wireless: dropouts happen whether wired or wireless. My Apple TV is wired, and often can't stream HD movies because the buffer runs out.

Modem only mode: the hub is already in modem only mode.

Results from Mac: Mac Airport Utility ScreenshotMac Airport Utility Screenshot This screenshot is what I look at when dropouts occur. It tells me at what point the problem is by changing the colour of the little green dots. When dropouts occur, the top dot next to '"internet" flashes form orange to green. Sometimes it flashes at very regular intervals, say from orange to green roughly every second. Sometimes it just remains orange for a long period of time. When orange and I click in the spherical image, it tell me the there is NO CONNECTION to the internet.

BQM: I've just signed up to this, so we'll see what comes of it.

My thoughts: even when dropouts are occurring, I can sometimes (but not always) perform a speed test through my phone app, which (like your tests) returns very nice statistics for ping, download and upload speeds. This is because the test lasts less than one minute. But I am still often unable to listen to the radio for a few hours on a Saturday morning without dropouts BECAUSE THE BUFFER RUNS OUT, which is because REGULAR DROPOUTS are happening OVER A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME. When I phone VM, they also tell me that their tests from their end show that everything is great from their side. This test also takes less than a minute (they perform it while I'm on the phone). Has it occurred to anyone at VM that they just might be performing the wrong test?! It cannot be a coincidence that all of us have this problem. We are not all stupid nor technically challenged. You should listen to your customers' feedback and send out senior engineers out to investigate what's really going on. I do appreciate your polite response, but honestly if I'd received a pound for every time someone at VM has said 1. hardwire, 2. reboot, 3. everything looks great from our end etc., I would be a rich man!

0 Kudos
sinbad69
Tuning in
Message 100 of 140
Flag for a moderator

Emma / Other Moderators, 

Does anyone actually reply to the comments that myself and others are raising here? 

Can you look at my BQM graph below, it is constantly dropping out. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/27cc907c43ac715614ca1a6a42b476e02e...

Does anyone here have experience with other vendors such as Sky? This is unacceptable, i am trying to work from home and it is impossible. 

Please help !!!