Menu
ntruby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"All you need is our amazing Hub 3.0 ..."

... says the message from VM since they agreed to update my speed from 50Mbps to 100.   But here's the thing - no information on *how* to get it.  I have a Hub 2, which seems to be fine save for patchy WiFi signal.  Is Hub 3.0 really an improvement and, if it is, how do I get it?

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: "All you need is our amazing Hub 3.0 ..."

Depends on how you want to improve your connection unless you need the 300Mbps connection I think most if not all users would agree keep the SH2 the Hub3 is plagued with issues and if you have requirements for low latency you can say goodbye the puma6 chipset is broken and has been for 2 years while intel try and find a fix (i.e a workaround) for the bug

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ntruby wrote:

... says the message from VM since they agreed to update my speed from 50Mbps to 100.   But here's the thing - no information on *how* to get it.  I have a Hub 2, which seems to be fine save for patchy WiFi signal.  Is Hub 3.0 really an improvement and, if it is, how do I get it?

All of Virgin's ISP hubs have small internal low-gain PCB antenna, so getting a Hub 3 won't improve the wifi signal dramatically.

The Hub 3 also has a few issues which could cause you additional grief. Google Puma 6 issue. You're better off waiting for the Hub 4 (which will support Docsis 3.1) whenever that comes out.

If you want to improve your wifi then you need to get a 3rd party router that has external high-gain antenna and more powerful radio's with a feature called "beam-forming". See here for more info: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Replacement-Router-Which-and-why-gt/td-p/342...

Your hub 2 can cope with speeds up to 200/20 and can be re-provisioned with higher speeds over the telephone in a few minutes.

All Replies
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends on how you want to improve your connection unless you need the 300Mbps connection I think most if not all users would agree keep the SH2 the Hub3 is plagued with issues and if you have requirements for low latency you can say goodbye the puma6 chipset is broken and has been for 2 years while intel try and find a fix (i.e a workaround) for the bug

--------
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ntruby wrote:

All of Virgin's ISP hubs have small internal low-gain PCB antenna, so getting a Hub 3 won't improve the wifi signal dramatically.

The Hub 3 also has a few issues which could cause you additional grief. Google Puma 6 issue. You're better off waiting for the Hub 4 (which will support Docsis 3.1) whenever that comes out.

If you want to improve your wifi then you need to get a 3rd party router that has external high-gain antenna and more powerful radio's with a feature called "beam-forming". See here for more info: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Replacement-Router-Which-and-why-gt/td-p/342...

Your hub 2 can cope with speeds up to 200/20 and can be re-provisioned with higher speeds over the telephone in a few minutes.

Highlighted
Tengenstein
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Definitely stay away form the Hub 3.0. That thing has both crippling performance issues and potential security issues. 

0 Kudos
scozzers
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yea, steer clear. It's awful. My first had to be replaced immediately as it didn't even work out of the box and the second has had multiple issues. Currently my phone is sitting on top of the hub and still can't get a wifi signal from it ...

With the Hub 2.0, if you had an issue you could at least restart it in a timely manner to troubleshoot. Hub 3.0 takes an eon to restart, it really is ridiculous.

Also, unless you pay extra for the direct "gamer" package, your connection is shared across your postcode anyway so the speed boost means jack all. That's when you actually get the boost instead of the download speed dropping to 100th of what it should be, which it does on a regular basis.

I've been with Virgin since it was NTL but their service standards have really dropped lately.

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've always wondered if there were any reliability differences between the old NTL and the old Telewest networks in theory they should be the same but since the original network infrastructure was laid by different companies you never know.

Ex telewest area here and it's always been faultless round here I've been away for the last 8 years cos I couldn't get it at my address but this is now changing but I also know plenty of people still on the network

--------

0 Kudos
scozzers
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

spt.pngspt2.png

This kind of extremely low download happens consistently with the Hub 3. Recently my wifi wasn't working at all and my DL speeds were fine, now the wifi is working again and my DL speeds are back to doing this. Sometimes a restart (PC) will fix it but not always.

Never had problems like this with HUb 2.0 - it wasn't perfect and I did go through three of them but this 3.0 is rubbish.

0 Kudos