Menu
terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

loss of broadband

Am I the only one who constantly, sometimes only for a second or two, loses my connection to my PC. I have spoken to custom services on several occasions and they change my channel as the cure but it doesn't cure the problem. They promised me on one occasion that they would monitor the problem and come back to me but it didn't happen. This coupled with an awfully slow TIVO box makes me wonder if I have made an awful mistake when I joined Virgin last June and should look again at suppliers. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: loss of broadband

Hey terryR1,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the intermittent connection you're experiencing, wireless can be tricky, especially if there's interference in your environment.

Is your PC far away from your Hub? It might be worth looking into hard-wiring it, or connecting with Power Line Adapters. Do any other devices struggle or just your PC?

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Terry,

Glad your holiday was good Smiley Very Happy

Apologies again for the problems with your Hub. If you drop me a PM confirming your name and address, I'll send you a replacement.

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey terryR1,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the intermittent connection you're experiencing, wireless can be tricky, especially if there's interference in your environment.

Is your PC far away from your Hub? It might be worth looking into hard-wiring it, or connecting with Power Line Adapters. Do any other devices struggle or just your PC?

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather J

Thanks for replying. My hub is in the next room but because I could only get 4/5mbps when the hub was installed (they promised me 50mbps and said I would get a good connection in the rear garden !!!) I purchased an extended kit for the room the PC is in and also one for the kitchen which finally gave me full coverage indoors at least.

The problem is that most of the time I will lose contact (just for a few seconds mainly) around once every 10 mins.The trouble customer services don't seem bothered, all they do is change the channel and tell me to see how it goes. On one occasion they said they would monitor it for me and let me know what they find - never heard back from them.

It was only a couple of weeks after I joined Virgin that they had to come and replace the phone line because they said one of the cables was damaged, add to this that my TIVO box is so slow and the initial dealings with Virgin was poor (they didn't cancel me phone line with BT as they said they would).  I really am getting frustrated. I genuinely am not a moaner but this situation really is getting to me.

Thanks again for replying

Terry.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the additional info Smiley Happy

I completely understand where you're coming from with this, it is frustrating. You've mentioned the wireless channel above, I'm wondering how many of them you've tried so far. Often you will need to try a few to find the one that performs best in your environment. Take a look at this help article for instructions and please let us know if it helps.

Take care.

Heather_J

terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J

Thanks again for your reply. The channel has been changed about 5/6 times by Virgin themselves and every time it gives the same problem of cutting out.The last time they done it the young lady said that she was confident that the channel she put me on would help considerably - it cut out within 5 mins of me using that channel. The time before that the gentleman I spoke to said the same thing and also said that my site would be monitored and if there were problems he would organise an engineer to visit - nothing !!!

Another thing that they have said on two occasions is that I have between 11 and 13 other devices connected while I am experiencing my problem but the only other devices connected are my wife's Ipad or her Iphone.

Thanks for your link to changing the channel myself and I will attempt to use this helpful link and let you know the outcome ( I'm on holiday from Sunday next week for 7days) so it may be after that i try it.

Thanks for your help

Terry Rose

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terry,

I hope you're having a nice holiday Smiley Happy

Thanks for letting me know about the wireless channels. I'm a bit concerned that you said that you've seen in excess of 11 devices connected when you're only using one iPad. If this problem persists I'd be inclined to send you a replacement.

Just get back in touch after your holiday and we'll pick up where we left off.

Take care.

Heather_J

terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

loss of broadband

Hi Heather_J,

Holiday was great thank you.

Insofar as the number of items connected is concerned, this is something I am told when I phone customer services to speak to them about the wi fi cutting out (which is still happening) and tends to be the first thing they mention- "well, you have got 11/13/10 devices (whatever the figure is when I phone) connected, it will be slow or cut out". Whether they are confusing this with the number of people who have tuned in to the hub when they have visited us I don't know but they ought to know they are NOT connected when they are talking to me.

I have changed the channel a couple of times now but still have the cutting out happening immediately.. Will keep trying however.

Thanks for your help and interest in this problem and I am genuinely sorry to be a pain.

Cheers

Terry

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Terry,

Glad your holiday was good Smiley Very Happy

Apologies again for the problems with your Hub. If you drop me a PM confirming your name and address, I'll send you a replacement.

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J

Have received the new hub thank you. Away for the next 2 days, so will fit it ASAP and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for all your help and, again, sorry for the delay in fitting the new hub.

Cheers

Terry

0 Kudos
terryR1
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J

I have now been running the new hub for a few days now and after letting it settle for a couple of days I'm sorry to say not much has changed. It doesn't seem quite so frequent (dropping out) as before but nevertheless it does still drop out.

I received a call from Virgin sales today offering me a deal on a higher speed (100mbps) which I accepted in the hopes that this might just help the problem but within 1 hour of having the new speed it dropped out for a brief second. I really don't know what to do now but can I say that if I decided to change my provider in June (one year completed) I really do appreciate what you have done for me - thank you.

Cheers

Terry

0 Kudos