Menu
aleksmariusz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 77
Flag for a moderator

is this a record time for getting connected with new fibre service?

not in a quick-start kind of way either, it's been over 4 months and i still don't have service..

I originally signed up Mid-March but my address wasn't listed so a virgin media tech texted me (quite late on a friday night strangely enough) to set up a time to come by to verify if i should be able to get it since the shop below me was listed as able to get service but my flat above wasn't.

He came by another evening the following week, said it looks fine to set up an order, so he did so, with the promo rate i found online (which was kind of him to offer me that flexibility).

Got an install date of April 6th.  A week or two before that when the contract arrived in the mail, it told me i'd be charged a different (higher rate) than what i agreed on.  Had to speak to a few people to get them to honor the original price i told i'd get.  Pre-paid the yearly line rental fee at that time too (end of March).

On the evening of April 5th, i got a voicemail stating that they would not be able to do install the next day, that some construction was required and because of the busy street i live on, it'd have to be done on sundays and it would require council permission.  When i called mid-April to follow up, they told me the same thing and that it would take 6 weeks.  

I called again in early May to follow up and was told it was only two weeks (which i thought was strange since i first learned of this in early April).   

Around mid June i start getting anxious and very frustrated since i've heard nothing about an installation date still (thinking the work must have been done by now and my install date isn't showing up), so i call around the 15th to ask for a follow up.   Regular customer service first told me they are waiting on the construction department still and nothing can be done, but eventually they thought ok maybe we should connect you directly to the construction department.   When i was FINALLY connected (20+ minute hold times w/ the same crappy 3-4 top40 songs played over and over) they didn't know their **bleep** from their heads and told me they'd look into and call me back within 48 hours.

24 hours goes by, nothing.. 48 hours goes by, nothing.. a whole week and a half goes by and the crickets are chirping, so i call back on the 28th and i am told something about the work being scheduled for the following monday or previous monday or something about a monday some time (their accent was a bit heavy so i couldn't understand them fully), and that they be telling me a new install date soon.

Another 2 weeks goes by and still i hear nothing, so i called them just last Friday, the 15th of July and now they're telling me it takes 6 weeks and the request was only entered/made on June 30th so it's only been two weeks.  At this point i really start to flip out, i ask what the hell were they doing since april? what did they do in May?? June?? it's been well over 8 weeks even.. They said they'd look into it and call me back within 48 hours.

Sounding familiar? Guess what, i once again didn't hear back.. 

My question, what kind of incompetent idiots do virgin media employ by their construction department for contractors ? The fact that they re-started the 6 week clock and when i just called (since i was on hold while i wrote this entire post), i was informed that due to scaffolding they found just on Monday at the neighborhood property (where their equipment cabinet is in front of) they were unable to proceed again.  If that scaffolding is up there a year will i be waiting another year? JFC!

Sounds like this is finally getting some attention/progress, but i just don't understand why i always have to be the one to chase them down and never hear any updates from them.  The lady i spoke with on the phone was actually really nice about it, and sees the original request for the construction work was made on the 4th of april, but sees no updates in her system until end of june.. and told me she'd keep an eye if any updates come in but maybe she just said that because she heard the desperation and loss of hope in my voice ?

Unbelievable.. I'm this close to asking BT if they can give me their Infinity fibre service instead (but guess what, they don't have my address listed as elligible but once again the shop beneath me does, already inquired but they said i'd need to get a BT phone line first to check for elligibility, hmm starting to sound like not that crazy an idea sadly with the way VM has been handling this….)

Helpful Answers
aleksmariusz
On our wavelength
Message 77 of 77
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: is this a record time for getting connected with new fibre service?

so i'm excited to report.. i'm finally online. on, my, own, internet, service. w00t!

So basically the technician was to come between 8am and 12noon. it was almost 11:30 and i hadn't heard from anyone so i was starting to get frustarted/worried either that they arne't coming or that they already came (i was in bed until around 9 so i thought maybe i didn't hear the doorbell from the bedroom). I was sitting down preparing to call (and record my call as i've been doing the last few dozen times), when the door bell rang. Who could it be? Yay it's virgin media finally!

Anyway the guy was super nice, a tad bit shy initially but when i told him my background (also IT) he warmed up. He lives not far from me in camden. Said he's been waiting 3 years for virgin media to replace his phone line (said they call him every few months that they're going to come next month).

And i guess the moral of the story is, sheeetty service from virgin media, not that unusual after all! Seems this type of waiting isn't that abnormal since it feels like they do not give really a ffff about their customers (at least as a company, there ARE some good individual such as the moderators on this board who once in a while chimed in with updates and the kind people i've chatted to on the phone who were otherwise powerless to help more).

So to close this topic, i suppose no record was likely set. The tech himself has been waiting even longer..

0 Kudos

All Replies
newmski
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Holy xxxx, I'm not the only one who's having to deal with the s*** too. I put in a request on June 20th for transfer of services to new address from old. Been with virgin just over 2 years. Still no where near forward in getting connected. Date was given for tomorrow 22nd, this was cancelled as they now need local authority ok to connect up cable to apartments that I'm in. Yet the street was done prior to this, not the apartments. Having to use giffgaff always on data to use as hotspot so I can access email etc. No sort of compensation or anything, numerous calls, resulting in between 23 / 31 / 43 mins, and not getting anywhere. Another call today, 31 mins, last resort speak to construction team, placed thru, all I heard was bloody bieber, guetta etc. Hung up as taking the pi**. Really fed up with virgin. Could have gone with bt or sky now and be enjoying high speed internet, instead of waiting for this so called service from virgin. You can see my post from Monday, no one from Virgin has cared to comment on it either.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
aleksmariusz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Hope your wait isn't as long as mine has been so far (and i wonder how much longer it will be).  

My advice, call the construction department directly, 0345 04 50 595 at least once a week, leave your phone on speakerphone/put it down nearby for the 20-30 minutes the hold time usually takes (while you are having dinner or something).  Ask for solid dates instead of/don't easily accept the '6 weeks' shpiel they are trained to spit at you.  Try to not seem that upset (at least with my latest call i feel like i got more sympathy than when i was earlier really telling them off).

My feeling is that it seems you have to stay on top of them or they will just forget about you.. That's what i think happened to me..  And forget about them actually reaching out/getting back to you (esp when they say 'we will call you within 48 hours with more info/an update').

I'll update this thread when/if i ever make any progress, let me know how it goes for you.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

0 Kudos
newmski
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Yes do keep us updated with your progress. I'll let you know what happens with mine. I notice that Ty_S has edited my post supposedly for swearing but since when has **** been swearing???? **** is a clothing brand Ty_s - look it up on Google. But I notice there's no response from him or others from Virgin Media on our 2 issues, caused by incompetence of Virgin. They should not advertise falsely that services are available on my road, leafleting to advise they are and yet I'm being given the run around like you are. I will try that number directly so thanks for that!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Hi aleksmariusz,

I am very sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I am also very sorry for the wait in getting this sorted for you.

The latest update that we have received is that the construction team are unable to access the pits with the scaffolding in the way and the crews did not advise how long it will be there for.

We will certainly notify you when the work is completed.

Once again, I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Hi newmski,

Really sorry to hear that you're also waiting around for work to be completed.

I have chased for an update regarding this for you as well, and the construction team have advised me that work was approved on the 18th, and that it may take a further 6-8 weeks to complete. Someone should also be in contact with you soon to discuss this further.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to help,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
newmski
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Have you had any joy with connection/installation?
I've given up hope altogether with Virgin after a call to them last friday, hung up on the person after 30 mins. Rang NOW TV, and opted to go with them. Still, no call from Virgin Media to update me, nothing. Not even any more response on my post from them. They are useless, not interested in resolving issues, only thing they bother about is the money rolling in for them. Funnily, a neighbour in the apartment block has recieved the Virgin Media now available leaflet thru, hmmm false advertising, when clearly it is not. No cable has been layed yet, 3 weeks ago, green arrows sprayed on the pavement. Nothing more. So, NOW TV, hopefully will be better.

0 Kudos
aleksmariusz
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 77
Flag for a moderator

i haven't heard a peep out of them either actually. if the downstairs internet cafe wasn't being kind enough to let me use their internet temporarily i'd be fuming though.. 

i did see someone working on the cabinet the other day, even took a picture.. but it turned out to be someone from BT not virgin media.. 

I think i'll just wait until they get all the work done then go with someone else, that way it at least cost them something to be incompetent :-)

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 9 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Strange that this post has been on here 4 weeks, edited TWICE by 'mods' yet NOBODY from the 'forum' team has even had the decency to reply to the post??

Beginning to look like the 'forum team' no longer even care....surely someone could have at least put SOME sort of reply??

Think that the best thing to do is to move on, get another provider, and recover any money paid to VM through the courts, and add on any expenses...

Totally rubbish advert for VM 'services' (but we all know that anyway!!)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Nat_J replied to this post a few weeks ago, for some reason the reply didn't end up coming through. I've fixed that now so you should see Nat's replies a little further up the page. Apologies for the inconvenience caused and the additional wait for a response.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos